Chapter Five: Lia

Chapter Five: 

When I was a freshman, I had a boyfriend. A boyfriend named Noah. He was everything to me. I lived for that boy. 

He was tall and I loved that. He had brown hair that curled around his ears and I loved that. He had grey eyes, which were rare, and I loved that. He had a big, toothy smile and I loved that. He had a sense of humour and I loved that. He flirted a lot and I loved that. To me, Noah was perfect. 

He told me everyday, "Lia, I am madly and deeply in love with you." He would whisper it in my ear and it would send shivers racing down my spine. 

I would get up every morning at five am to get the perfect outfit on, making sure I smelled and looked my best for Noah. 

I lived for Noah and no one or nothing else. And I thought he did the same. 

Until that day. 

When I walked over to his house for our date. I'd come extra early, to spend more time with him. And there was a girl there, on his front porch. They were saying goodbye. Their lips were locked, arms entangled. I watched as the one reason I woke up each morning kissed another, prettier girl. 

I was devastated. And when Noah and the girl parted and Noah saw me staring, he didn't do anything but reach out and hold her hand. He stared at me with disgust and disdain dripping from his perfect, lovely face. He stared at me like I was nothing. And then he led the girl down the driveway right past me. They walked down the street, turned the corner, and disappeared. 

And I stood there, all alone, with no reason whatsoever to keep on living. 

From that moment on, I hated myself. Noah still goes to school. He and the girl are still dating. I see them in the hallways, pressed against lockers, lips touching. I cringe and I remember how loved I was. And I cringe and I remember how I used to have a reason to live. 

And now I don't.