Chapter Two

I hated driving through the busy highways in France; they were always compacted at the maximum and it made the drive even longer than normal. Alyson entertained herself on her smart phone, playing on one of the random apps she had downloaded. I turned on the radio, unable to use my phone on the road.

"Hey, Becky," she suddenly spoke up. "I just realised that we aren't necessarily dressed to attend an opera."

I looked down on my ripped skinny jeans and graphic t-shirt. I hadn't even thought of that.

"I guess we will have to go shopping before we go, then," I smiled. I could sense Aly beaming next to me, knowing that shopping was her favorite hobby. "Do you even know what opera is playing tonight?" I asked carefully.

She snorted. "Not a clue. There is always one on Fridays, though, so let's just hope it's a good one. Some of them are so boring!"

I frowned. "That's just because you don't understand the story's context and purpose. All operas have some type of romance included within the plot--it takes skill to recognise it."

She rolled her eyes. "And I suppose you have this skill?"

"Why, of course I do! How else would I be the great actress I am today?"

She threw up her hand and mocked me by opening and closing her fingers to make it seem like the hand was 'talking.' I resisted the urge to punch her shoulder and kept my hands at the wheel. She could see me flinch, though, and it made her laugh.

We listened to the radio for a few minutes, trying to guess the author of the songs before the other person could. Finally, I could spot the buildings of Paris through my windshield. "Goodness that took forever," Aly complained as I pulled out of the highway lane and headed deeper into the city's limits.

"So," I began, "where to shop?"

Aly's bottom lip butted out in thought. I waited patiently, driving nearer to the tall buildings. From the seat next to mine, Aly suddenly lifted one of her arms up quickly, as if waiting to be called on. Rolling my eyes, I nodded my head for her response.

"Let's head over to Versace!"

I almost slammed on my breaks as an answer. Versace!? I shouldn't had expected anything less from my friend, who had a dire need for costly items, but even from her mouth, the response was surprising. Versace was, after all, one of the most expensive, and fashionable, places in the world to sell clothing.

"You're joking, right?" I asked in disbelief.

"It's close to the Opera House, isn't it? Why not?" She said, finding no fault in her words.

I smirked. "Yeah, of course it's no big deal." I jokingly added, "My mom bought heels from that store once, and they are only the most expensive thing my family owns."

Aly huffed. "Oh, come on...let's at least take a peek inside?" I glared at her. "Please?" she begged.

I contemplated it for a moment, I mean what could be the harm at just looking at their dresses? Giving up, I turned the Mercedes down a narrow road, heading for Versace.

The store seemed rather small from the outside as I parked out front. Aly squealed and hurriedly opened her door, ignoring my plea for her to wait for me. I shut off the ignition and jumped out of the car, locking it before crossing the street to meet up with Aly who was already getting her wallet ready.

"My parents would kill me..."

"But they don't have to know!" She taunted, pulling out her fancy credit card. I bit my lip.