XIII - Resurrection

Everyone was tense, pumping with nervous energy as we overtook level five. I elbowed the glass of an in case of emergency ax and brushed the shards away. Holding tight to the handle, I exhaled slowly. We were going to defend this place with all we had. The Mountain Men would not win. Not if I had anything to do about it.

Monty yanked out the panel for the keycards. Sparks flew and he jumped away. I stifled a snort.

"Y/n, where do you want this?" Miller asked, as he and another kid walked by carrying a bed frame.

"Here," I directed them to a spot in front of the door. "No weak spots. We need to make sure they don't get in. We took the level, but now we have to hold it!"

Around me, all my friends scrambled to stack furniture and anything else they could find against any and all points of entry.

"They will be coming!" I shouted, hoping I was inspiring, even if the situation was rather grave. "And we need to be ready!"

Everyone grunted in response and didn't relent from their work. Jasper acted as my so-called second, barking out orders to anyone who couldn't hear me.

"Harper," I said, as I approached her. "Get some pots and fill them with water. As big as you can okay?"

She tilted her head in confusion, but followed my orders anyway. I knew what I was doing. If the Mountain Men ever did make it through our barricade, their smoke bombs and flash bangs wouldn't hinder us.

"Watch out!" Fox yelled as I walked by. I ducked just in time and the remnants of a security camera shattered to the floor around me.

"Nice, Fox! Let's go get the hallway cameras, alright?"

"Nope!" Monty interjected. I turned to him, about to argue, but he continued, "Leave the hallway cameras. We need eyes out there."

I smiled, impressed. "You can do that?"

Monty scoffed, walking away with an electronic panel. "Have you met me?"

I followed after him, Jasper catching up with us. "Where are we on the doors?"

"Elevators are disabled," Monty relayed to us, tinkering with another electric door panel. "I shorted the other stairwell locks. This one's tricky though, I can't seem to-"

I cut him off as I swung at it with my ax. Sparks flew as it broke. Monty pursed his lips.

"Alright, that works too."

I smirked. "Sorry. Impatient."

We turned to watch all our people continue barricading the doors, scurrying around each other, doing anything they could to make sure we stayed alive.

"How long do you think we can hold them off?" Jasper murmured.

"As long as we have to," I replied, putting a firm hand on each of their shoulders, trying not to impale either of them with the ax. "This'll work."

Monty and Jasper gave me tense, sympathetic smiles.

We'd finally finished blocking everything for as much as we could. If I thought tensions were high before, this was incomparable. Before, everyone was rushing around, had a job to do, something to keep their minds off of the imminent danger. Now all we could do was pace around the room, gripping tight to our weapons, waiting for the inevitable. I could almost feel everyone's nervousness and it was overwhelming.

I glanced over Monty's shoulder at the screen he held in his hands. Still, there was nothing in the hallways. When were they coming?

I got my answer almost immediately. An explosion rocked the room, and on the screen I saw a door fly off its hinges. Everyone jumped and gripped tighter to their guns or axes or pieces of wood. It was starting.