Shattered I

Domestic violence is defined as any violation of the physical or mental integrity of a person inflicted by the use of a power relationship by the structurally stronger person. In general, this means the use of force in marriage and (ex) partner relationships. Domestic violence includes psychological violence such as threats and humiliation, financial and social violence such as isolation, physical and/or sexual violence, and even homicides. Violence in the social vicinity is usually not a one-time event, it repeats itself. Frequency and intensity often escalate over time.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

The luxury suite in which my husband and I spend the weekend is larger than all my previous apartments put together. The living room is completely in cream colors, thick heavy carpets cover the extravagant marble floor, a seating area of grey leather dominates the room.
A year ago I made the breakthrough as an actor that I've been longing for, and since then my career has been steadily improving. More and more role offers, interviews and advertising campaigns find their way to me.
My luck could be perfect, there is only, unfortunately, as usual in life, a catch - and in my case, this is my husband Mark. Even though he assured me that he has no problem with me being naked and in sexually explicit poses in the movie that gave me my breakthrough, our marriage has deteriorated since the movie was released. The movie "Dark Desire" was an absolute blockbuster, there was no magazine whose cover didn't show my face. The film is about a young and inexperienced man, who feels attracted to dominance, finds fulfillment in his submission. The role appealed to me because I was always very curious about this forbidden and frowned upon the world. Now that I have come into contact with the theme, my longing has become deeper and greater. But with Mark, I can forget that he is, like my parents, strictly conservative and not willing to deviate from the missionary position. Slowly but surely his religious attitude changed, in the course of our marriage, he became more and more fanatical. And yet he himself interprets his commandments if you want to call them like that, as he wants. If I saw a possibility for a separation, I would go and not look back anymore...

Mark's been in the bedroom for an hour watching his football game, hopefully, the New York Giants win, otherwise it looks pretty bad for the rest of the day. Young and stupid as I was, I married Mark way too early, at just eighteen I gave him my future. Now I'm twenty-six, surprisingly financially secure and starting shooting a new movie next month. It could all be so beautiful, so incredibly perfect if only I wasn't married to Mark. Our relationship has been quite tense for years, but in the last six months, he has become a violent lunatic.
Apparently, my success has cost him the last remnant of self-control - or should I call it sanity. Strikes and kicks, screams and rage, until now I try to endure the hell in which I live. My agent told me that a divorce wouldn't be very good for my image and my parents wouldn't be able to handle it either. Strictly Catholic, they already can't cope with the situation that their only son has undressed in front of the camera. If I divorce him now, they will surely freak out.

To relax a little bit I decide to use the pool of the hotel, the gala tonight will be boring and attend it only to increase my presence, so why should I at least not treat myself now?

Carefully I slip into my bathing shorts and grab one of the luxuriously soft hotel bathrobes. As I pull it on my ribs hurt, Mark's morning rage has left dark purple marks on my skin. The suite my agent booked is on the top floor of the five-star hotel. During our stay, the pool area is at our disposal for the sole use, so that at least nobody can see the injuries.

...

The pleasantly tempered water flows around my body, weightlessly drifting I use the rare moments that remain for me alone. Since I got a bodyguard for safety reasons, I can't even go shopping alone anymore. As much as I enjoy my new fame and the comforts that come with it, I miss my well-protected privacy. Moments in which I am alone and completely for myself have become a rarity.