Ch. 28: A Song for You

Our time at the Park estate was short. After Eira and I reconciled, we were able to leave that very day. It wasn't until the bookkeeper spoke with Eira to arrange a day of when we can pay him and Jennifer a visit to the archives. She didn't question what it was for but agreed to go. The Emperor came by later to say his farewells but his eyes held so much pain when he was looking at Eira. I heard her whisper to him before she got into our carriage that she will be fine and knows he didn't mean to do this to her. He silently nodded as he helped her inside.

The entire ride back home was quiet as I watched Eira asleep on Zander's shoulders. Her Snow White locks framed her serene face as she continued to sleep. The moonlight caressed her in those gentle rays of light as the hooves of the horses provided a gentle lullaby for her to sleep. I couldn't help but smile to how peaceful she looked.

I wish it can be peaceful like this for her all the time.

"I assumed that everything is good between you and Empress, Taehyung?" as Leo quietly spoke.

"Yeah," as I whispered. "I told her the truth and that helped clear the air between us. I just didn't know I was doing a lot of things that reminded her of how Alden started behaving."

"I should of told you," as Leo gave a sigh, settling further into his seat. "I am the head servant and should know better. Even I make mistakes when it comes to protecting her."

"I don't blame you," as I smiled. "We all make mistakes. I am just glad she understands now."

"That's good to hear," as a small smile dances on his face. "Empress gets stuck in the past so much that she forgets that time is still moving forward. Hopefully, she can move forward too."

"I hope so too," as I settled further into my seat. The silence hung within the carriage as I started to think over the conversation I had with Eira earlier that day. She wasn't sure if she can ever look at me in a way that she had always looked at Alden. I was able to tell her that I had always been infatuated by her.

Ever since I was five years old, she was such a rarity. Not only by just her beauty, but how she was as a person.

I wanted to protect and admire someone like that.

My trouvaille I had always referred her as.

She told me I needed to get to know her better if I was ever going to have her change her mind about me.

The question is how?

"Hey, Leo?" as I turned my head to face the quiet man sitting next to me.

"Yeah?" as he slightly turned his head towards me.

"What does Empress like? Does she have any hobbies or interests besides books?" as I looked at him with curiosity.

"That's.....an interesting thing to ask," as Leo was surprised by my questions. "What has made you interested in Empress's likes and dislikes?"

"Oh, it's just that," as I sheepishly looked away and returned my gaze back on a sleeping Eira. "I told her that I have been infatuated by her and asked her if she would ever view me differently. You know, maybe how she viewed Alden."

"Oh!" as Leo's pastel blue eyes grew even wider. "I didn't expect you to tell her how you felt. What did Empress say?"

"She said I needed to get to know her better," as I continued to focus on her. "I am just trying to figure her out but she doesn't say much about herself."

"Ah, I see," as Leo turns back around in his seat as he ponders over the subject. "Empress does keep to herself. It's always been that way with her. Alden intrigues the intellectual side of her. Research, advancement, that sort of thing. Majority of the time I didn't understand half of the things they talked about." He lets out a chuckle reminiscing a memory of the two.