3 | New Friend Unlocked

*Edited* Version - October 10th

___

___

We stopped in front of a sleek grey modern townhouse illuminated under the street lights. Stepping out, Henry began to take out my bags from the car. The door creaked open as an elderly couple with light grey hair peeked out.

A woman with her hair pulled back into an elegant bun came rushing towards me, I felt her warm arms pull me into a gentle embrace. Her rose scented perfume put my mind at ease. For once, I reciprocated the action, digging my face into her shoulder.

"You're home now, Autumn. We've missed you for so long, dear." She whispered into my ear, stroking my head.

"How long are you two going to embrace in the cold? Hurry up and come inside, we need to show you your room!" Grandpa called out from the doorway. "I'm not getting any younger over here!"

"It's good to see you too." I laughed as he swatted my head with a rolled up newspaper.

Gently taking my hand, Grandma pulled me alongside her with Henry trailing behind. Grandpa led us into the house, gesturing for me to follow him upstairs. The witch had said something about them getting a renovation a couple of years ago. Their color scheme was minimalistic grey, beige, and grey.

Opening one of the white doors, I assumed this would have been my new room. A large window showed the skyscrapers and bright lights of the city as a sleek black desk stood in front of it. My bed sat next to the wall as I walked over to drop off my luggage with Henry's help. He bid us goodbye before taking off.

"You must be hungry! Downstairs, I made all of your favorite dishes!" She yawned as I shook my head.

"Go to sleep, both of you. I'll be here in the morning, just rest for now."

While they headed off to their room, I made my downstairs to the kitchen. It was a beautiful sight to even look at. Black marble countertops with a large rectangular island in the middle. They added more ovens, at least six in total at the moment. The table was set up for three people as a large pot sat in the middle. Glancing at the clock, it was only 3:35 in the morning.

Putting on my sneakers, I grabbed my bag and headed out the door. It was going to be awhile before my body could adjust to the time zone. Perhaps there was a coffee shop that was open around this time.

***

The aroma of roasted coffee beans filled the air as I walked into a cafe. The walls were adorned with bookshelves as several empty tables nearby. I found one of the staff members standing behind a counter.

"What kind of place is this?" I asked her.

"Since we sell coffee and other beverages, we're considered a cafe. At the same time, you're welcome to read or study here for free!" She smiled. "Paying patrons can rent our ipads for two hours for free. Would you like something to drink?"