20 | Family Feud

●●●

●●●

Thanksgiving was coming up as we were all going to celebrate in Korea. Thankfully the old witch has refused to come back, which was nice to know. I've been seeing my therapist on the weekends, especially Sundays. A lot has changed over the past couple of weeks since the incident. Surely but slowly, changes are beginning to take in effect. I'm allowed to wear braces but it still hurts to move my wrists.

For the first time in at least eighteen years, Uncle Akabayashi was finally coming home. He left Korea when he was around twenty-one, refusing to join the family business. The stories that the old witch told us about, Grandma and Uncle were not on the best terms. It got to the point where she loathed the conversations that brought up Uncle. She refuses to even call him her own son.

___

It was my day off from work as I decided to go to a nearby cafe with Daniel and Jae. Al wasn't able to make it because of his work schedule, he works at the convenience store with small Daniel. I couldn't grasp my hands around my iced coffee as I tried my best to lift it up. Grandpa said that once it's somewhat healed naturally, my healing abilities might help the process.

"You guys have any plans for Thanksgiving?" Daniel asked as Jae shook his head. He turned to me as I placed my coffee onto the table.

"My uncle is coming in from Japan." I explained. "It's the first time he's coming home in eighteen years."

"He's been away for that long? Did he ever come to visit?" Daniel questioned.

"Probably not, he isn't exactly on good terms with my grandmother." Which led me to go into an explanation of the events that had occurred. From the bitter childhood to the rebellious teen years, I tried to end my melodramatic story on a good note.

"Life...what a journey."

"He didn't want to conform to their vision of who he was, right?" Daniel asked as I nodded my head.

"When I was younger, he always told me to never let someone validate who I am or what I'm worth." I wish I'd take his advice more seriously. "These days, I can't help but think it over and over."

"When's he planning on visiting?"

"In a couple of days, actually. He'll be arriving around one in the afternoon."

The conversation soon fizzled out as I looked out towards the window. My thoughts were surrounding how things would play out. Uncle's relationship with the old witch and Grandma were anything but positive.

"Autumn? Are you alright?" Daniel and Jae tried to get my attention as I snapped my head back to them. Worry filled their eyes as I smiled at them.

"Sorry, I was just caught up in my thoughts. It's nothing, really."