―nine

The brown leather of the size nine boots was incredibly worn and dirty. And yet, still very much protective.

   For as long as she had been hunting (which in the grand scheme of it all, wasn't that long), Emily Winchester had worn the same large brown leathered boots. When she first got them, she bought them two sizes too big with the intent of growing into them.

   She was correct, as Emily did end up growing into her boots, and luckily, she was about done growing both in height and foot size, therefore she would not need a new pair of hunting boots for a while. Though, when the time came that she would need a new pair Emily was not sure how she would let go of the pair she currently has.

   Some people had a pair of lucky socks, others had a lucky charm and some even lucky bracelets. Not Emily, she had her "lucky hunting boots". The things were so thick around her feet, that Emily often found herself breaking down doors with ease while wearing them.

   Those were the only shoes that Emily was willing to wear other than her beat up converse.

   Emily made the decision, she was going after the thing as soon as she could. Not only were her friends at risk, but the rest of the town was still unsafe. Emily had come to Derry with the intent of protecting it, and so far, she had failed. Emily allowed the thing to run around long enough, it was to put an end to it.

   She understood that she was going in practically blind as she had no clue what exactly it was or what it was fully capable of, all she knew was that it was powerful. Therefore she would be bringing with her every trick in the hunting book. Silver witch killing bullets would be loaded into her guns, silver arrows for her crossbow, and her machete would be on her as well.

   There was one trick in the hunting world that was guaranteed to almost always work. As her father had told her and her brothers so many times before, Emily repeated the mantra out loud to herself out loud.

   "Nothing can function without a head." She said while looking at the gleaming machete.

   Hopefully whatever this thing was didn't fall away from that rule, as her plan if nothing else worked was to simply get close enough so she could decapitate it.

   However, she wasn't only bringing two pistols, a crossbow, and a machete. Emily was also bringing a round of ninja stars, two daggers, a mini bomb (her dad would kill her if he knew she had one of his bombs).

   As much as Emily loved her usual jeans she learned the hard way that jeans were not the best outfit to hunt around in. It was because of that fact that Emily was limited to more flexible clothing; leggings were a tight fit, but they allowed her to move around.

   Emily would be damned if she ever had to get rid of her beloved flannel, therefore the flannel stayed even throughout the hunt. The only difference was the black coat that she wore unbuttoned over flannel and tank top. It was good for extra protection as the things she hunted often had sharp claws and sharp teeth.

   "Okay, I'm not going to think about how I'm going in blind, I'm just going to think of killing you." Emily hummed to herself as she paced around her motel room while pulling her long hair up into a ponytail.

   As much Emily disliked pulling her hair up, even she knew that having her hair waving around while she was fighting a monster wasn't a smart choice.

   After she pulled her hair up, Emily proceeded to tie her crossbow on her back while shoving her machete into the harness on her thigh. The daggers and ninja stars laid hidden within the confine of her coat while one of her pistols was safely tucked away in the back waistband of her leggings and the other in the outside pocket of her coat.