Chapter 3: Perfect Timing

I woke up to a bright sunny Sunday morning in Bristol. It is a rare race weekend for Nationwide because all the drivers get to stay for the Cup race.

I looked over at my clock and read 9:00. I grabbed my phone and looked through all my notifications. Just the normal tweets about my interview and people liking my Instagram pictures. I normally take behind the scene pictures. This particular photo was of Joey and his car. We were goofing off and he may have climbed up on top of his car.

After laying in bed for another 20 minutes I pulled myself out of bed.
I took a shower I dried and straightened my hair. I walked over to my dresser and looked through my driver shirts. I picked out my black Team Penske shirt and some jean shorts.

"Morning." I said sitting at our little table in the hauler. I sat down to mom drinking her coffee and Connor checking twitter.

"Good morning sweetheart. How are you this morning?" My mom asked dressed in a pick bathrobe and her hair up in a messy bun.

"I'm good. How are you feeling?" I said recognizing the bags under her eyes.

"I'm fine. Just the flu or something. " She responds sipping her coffee.

"Connor wanna go out and see the tailgaters?" I asked looking at his outfit. He had a Joey Logano shirt on with a Penske SnapBack.

"Are there even any out there yet?" He said pulling his earbuds out.

"I know there are a few. I don't wanna be out there when there are a bunch though." I said grabbing my golf car keys. NASCAR gave us a golf cart to run around and get stuff done. We also do appearances that are across the plaza. Plus we like to make special appearance out where tailgaters are.

"Yea lets go then." Connor said grabbing his backpack.

"Be careful. No beer." Mom said kissing us both.

"Yes mama." I said smiled, shutting the door.

Connor and I got our cart and headed out to the plaza. Everything was still getting switched over from Nationwide last night.

"Hey guys!" I saw Joey walking with Todd Gordon, his crew chief.

"Hey Joey. Ready to race?" I asked giving him a quick hug.

"Yep. I qualified 13th but it doesn't matter where you start. Only matters where you finish." Joey said. "I will see you guys later." We waved goodbye and kept heading on.

We got to where the Sprint display was cleaning up from yesterday. Kyle and Clint Bowyer were over with Madison, who is one of the Miss Sprint Cup girls.

"Good morning everyone." I called.

"Morning! Where are you all headed this morning?" Madison asked turning around.

"Gonna go out to the campgrounds. The display looks nice!" I called driving off.

"Hey so what are you gonna do about Chase Elliott?" Connor asked as we headed out to the campgrounds.

"Nothing. He is just a driver that was looking in my general direction. No big deal." I shrugged.

"Do you like him?" Connor said elbowing my side.

"I barely know him." I said glancing over.

We drove through the few rows of tailgaters. It was typical NASCAR nation with corn hole and cowboy boots. Barbecue and beer. We stopped and took a few pictures and signed some flags and headed back to the track. We got right near the gates as they opened and people flooded in.