Chapter 4

Percy and Annabeth walked to Annabeth's cabin after eating. They walked in comfortable silence, holding hands. Percy's worries were put on pause as he focused on the way Annabeth leaned on him while they walked, and how the sun seemed to hit her at the perfect angle.

Once they reached the cabin Annabeth pulled Percy inside. No one was there, and Percy preferred that. He wanted some one on one time with Annabeth.

But what if I say something wrong? What if she gets tired of hanging out with me? What if-

"Earth to Seaweed Brain?" Annabeth said in a teasing voice.

That seemed to yank him out of...well...whatever that was. Worry overload? Yeah lets go with that and ignore the way it was suddenly a little hard for him to breathe.

Taking a deep breathe he attempted a smile and said, "Sorry, I zoned out. What'd you say wise girl?"

Rolling her eyes Annabeth repeated what she had said earlier. "I said I wanted to talk to you about something important." She bit her lip in the way she did when she was trying to figure out how to say something.
This worried Percy. It was never good when your girlfriend said something like that in such a serious tone. What if she wanted to break up with him?

That's crazy...she loves me and I love her...

Brushing off his thoughts he said, "What's up?"

She took a breathe and smiled at him, though it was a little strained. "Ok, well, you know how I took that test to help boost my chances at getting into Harvard?" He nodded and she continued. "Well I guess I did really good because hey want me to fly there. Tomorrow. To start early."

Percy didn't know what to do. Everything felt cold and the light in the cabin seemed to dim. Leave? To Harvard? Tomorrow? I mean being apart for the school year was one thing, but they were close enough that they visited all the time. This was different. This was...college.

Annabeth seemed to sense his worry because she started rambling. " I mean I know it's a lot, and I know it's a whole year early. But isn't it wonderful? I mean they want me at Harvard." She seemed to smile a thousand watt smile, but Percy didn't register it because he was trying hard not to freak out.

She's so excited, but Percy couldn't deal with the fact that they'd be apart for a very long time. And it was college. There were other boys and she'd be so excited about everything that she'd probably forget about him. Then months later, after stressing about it she'd call him and say "Oh Percy I'm sorry but it's just not working out." And he'd be utterly broken. No he wouldn't let that happen. He couldn't let that happen.

"I'm happy for you Annabeth. I hope you have a wonderful time, and I hope you meet someone else who cares about you and treats you how you deserve."

Her forehead crinkled and she gave him a confused look. "What are you talking about?"

Percy continued. " I can't do it Annabeth. I think..." he took a shaky breath, " I think we should take a break."

She was baffled to say the least. " Percy don't be dramatic. We'll phone call and text and visit and-"

" I don't want to. I can't, okay?" He was trying hard to hold the flood of tears back, but he was slowly losing the battle.

Annabeth just stared at him until the confusion was replaced by anger. "Fine. I wanted to make this work I wanted to do this together, but you obviously don't want to." Her jaw was set and that was that.

It's better this way. She's better and happier without me. I just ruin everything.

Annabeth was huffing in anger and frustration so Percy decided to leave before one of them said something they couldn't come back from.

He ran from the cabin crying freely. He didn't care anymore if someone saw him. Screw it. It didn't matter anymore. He just lost the person he cared about more than anything. Nothing would ever feel the same.

Percy's whole body felt cold and he couldn't process where he was going. He vaguely noticed that he reached the beach. His breathing came shorter and suddenly he was panicking.

He couldn't breathe! Why wasn't air going into his lungs? Why did he feel so strung up? Why did he break up with Annabeth? Why were there so many things wrong with him? Whywhywhywhywhywhywhywhy-" Percy?"

Someone said his name but he couldn't figure out who. Everything was becoming darker and to be honest he like it that way. Maybe if it became dark enough he could just disappear. Maybe then he'd be at peace.