chapter #19: the district dance competition

"Okay - so who else am I picking up again?" asked TJ, eyes never leaving the road. 

Cyrus smiled apologetically. "Andi, if that's okay?"

TJ laughed a little at that, but nodded all the same. Amber and Buffy were currently sat together in the back (Amber had complained at first about being demoted from her 'passenger seat' position.)

Buffy, who had realised she'd never gotten the chance to interrogate the girl dating her best friend, pounced on the opportunity to do so. Both Cyrus and TJ had zoned out after about 2 minutes, deciding instead to invest their energy into jamming out to Backstreet Boys songs.

It was another clear day, which was surprising given all of the recent rainfall. There were light winds and the sun was still shining brightly, beginning to lower now at this time in the afternoon. There were people out and about at parks, teenagers flocking to local shopping malls and Cyrus even saw an ice cream truck pass by them. Needless to say, it was a disappointment that he couldn't get any.

"Are you nervous at all?" he asked suddenly, turning down the music.

TJ just shrugged. "A little bit. But..."

Cyrus gave him a confused look. "But what?"

TJ glanced back at Buffy and Amber before directing his gaze briefly towards Cyrus again, smile shy now. "It helps a lot knowing you'll be there."

Cyrus raised a hand to his chest, letting out a loud 'aw!' that had Buffy shooting them both a confused glance before returning to her conversation with Amber.

"You'll be great! Marty too."

TJ gave him a bright smile as he pulled into Andi's driveway, watching in amusement as Amber swiftly unbuckled her seatbelt and hopped out of the car.

She was back minutes later, a glamorous-looking Andi in tow. She was wearing a short, sparkling black dress and dark red lipstick that had Cyrus practically gasping as she climbed into the car.

"Andi you look stunning!" he told her, smiling when Andi waved him off with a laugh and leaned into her girlfriend.

"Why thank you, Cyrus."

They were off again soon enough, and Cyrus turned up the Backstreet Boys' album again for him and TJ to jam to. Andi was talking animatedly with Amber now, but Buffy didn't seem to mind too much - a glance over his shoulder confirmed that she was happily tapping away at her phone.

Cyrus: Definitely Marty, right?

After about 30 seconds he heard a giggle from behind him.

Andi: oh, definitely. that smile!!!

A twenty-minute trip later found them at a large performance hall, with a parking lot that was filled to the brim with people and cars.

TJ sighed. "This is ridiculous."

Buffy nodded. "They really need a bigger parking lot."

Cyrus looked out of his window and took a moment to observe the building. It was surrounded by others that were similar in appearance - large, black and imposing, with barely any windows and a grand looking sign that read 'Saltlake Performance Hall.'

It took some time and a lot of exasperated sighing on TJ's end, but eventually, they managed to find a spot relatively close to the venue. Cyrus stepped out into the cool afternoon air was a relieved sigh, running a hand through his hair as he walked over to TJ.

"You can be our team's plus one," TJ told him.

Cyrus smiled and wrapped his arms around the boy's torso. "Are you sure they'll allow that?"