CHAPTER THREE

It was a shabby looking old building that stood in front of us. It was much less of a motel and very quiet around. Alot of trees were around and looking past the roof top, we could clearly see the mountains. Our little prize must be somewhere around there. With that thought, my joy came back as we strolled towards the motel.

We knocked at the door and a little old hag of a woman with a curved back allowed us in.

"Oh you're welcome, my boys," she said in a weak and shaky foreign accent. "Come on in."

I couldn't tell if the interior was worse than the exterior, but there was a funny malodorous smell all over the place and the look on Danny's face spoke of his disapproval. Pretty old building I could tell. I wouldn't have entered into such a place if I had a choice.

"I'm so sorry this is not the everyday kind of motel you often come across," old hag must have read our thoughts, "but I bet you're going to like it here after a while."

"Was actually wondering," Danny cut in, "if there could be a room for us here or just a bed that is big enough for two."

"Absolutely. It's a motel after all, isn't it?"

"Of course," said I, sarcastically.

"By the way, I'm Sara," she smiled warmly. "What are your names, boys?"

"Frank. This is my friend, Danny. Are there by any chance any lodgers around tonight? The whole place does feel awfully quiet."

"We don't really have people coming this way often save for one or two tourists every once in a while. Alright boys come now let me show you to your room."

As we followed her, the door towards the other end of the building opened and in trodded a very tall man in a hat. His pair of baggy jeans trousers were dirty about the knees and his handgloves were colored in mud. In his right hand was a shovel.
"Oh you're back honey," shrilled Sara excitedly. "I was just showing these fine young men to their room, they're lodging in here for the night. This is my husband, José," she said facing us. We run the place together."

"Hullo there," said the old man, throwing the shovel into an inner chamber.

He was grinning in good-humour. I could see a deep scar to the left side of his head as he removed his large hat. "Good to have company for the night."

"Good evening to you sir," we greeted.

"You boys must be hungry. I believe you're preparing something, Sara?"

"Dinner will be ready in a couple of minutes," said Sara, leading us again to our room.

She does look older than her husband, I thought. We followed her into the room. It was a large space partly divided by a partition wall running from one end up to the other but leaving an open space at the far end. There was a tiny little bed in the first compartment and another in the second compartment separated by the wall. There was a window in this second compartment and a nightstand beside the bed. Sara gave us the key and left. After deliberating, Danny was to sleep in the first compartment and I in the second.

Dinner was served shortly and we retired to bed after such a long day...