2 - THE MORNING AFTER

WHEN RUTH CAME TO, SHE WAS IN A NEW SET OF CLOTHES AND WRAPPED IN A BLANKET

WHEN RUTH CAME TO, SHE WAS IN A NEW SET OF CLOTHES AND WRAPPED IN A BLANKET. She shivered as she tugged the blanket around her, looking around as she took in her general surroundings, realizing that she was on another table, but in the medical wing rather than in Hank's lab, and she didn't know what time it was or how long she had been out, but when she was finally able to sit up—which took her more time than she was willing to admit—she nearly passed out from fear, catching sight of the group watching her from the foot of the table.

"It's alright, Ruth, it's just us," Charles called, shifting the joystick of his wheelchair, making his way towards the side of the table, smiling up at her, and there was a calming presence about him, something that Ruth couldn't explain, and she had to wonder if he was using his powers because she wasn't sure if she would feel similarly at ease if it was with anyone else.

Unable to help herself, Ruth pulled the blanket tighter around her shoulders, wishing that she could find a way to be fully encased within the soft material, protected from the world and her mind, from what she could escape and what she couldn't, but a thin piece of fabric was nothing against the fabric of reality.

"Do you know what happened, Ruth?" Hank asked, catching her attention from where he was now by the monitors, looking over whatever scans and tests he had done, and was doing, on her, his glasses sliding down the bridge of his nose, his brows furrowed.

The memories came flooding back, and in the harsh light of the medical wing with the presence of everyone around, Ruth felt more ridiculous than scared, though the feeling of dread still lingered in the pit of her stomach, the residual fear found in the young and alone. But despite the slight pang of fear, she couldn't help but feel her face heat up in embarrassment as she thought back to the figures she had seen out of the corner of her eye, of how she had let her emotions get the best of her again; this time, the only one who had gotten hurt was herself.

"Erm, maybe it's best if Ruth and I speak privately, I'm sure that whatever happened, whether life threatening or not, was very upsetting in the moment and no one can be faulted for reacting humanly," Charles said, turning to the small group of adults before then turning his attention back to Ruth, giving her a supportive smile, reaching out and placing a hand on her arm from where it was hidden under the blanket.

"Did you get the note I left for you, Ruth?" Hank asked, and while it didn't seem like he was arguing, he wasn't making any move towards leaving, and Ruth was somewhat grateful; like everyone else, she felt very safe with Charles, but the idea of having to explain everything one-on-one was upsetting to think about.

She nodded silently, finally deciding that it would probably be in her best interest to speak up, croaking out, "What were you doing?"

The doctor turned to look at the foot of her bed, and she followed his gaze, finding an unfamiliar blond man giving her a wave and pursed lipped smile. She tried not to flinch when she looked at him, knowing that it would be incredibly rude, but she couldn't help herself, unsure of whether to look away or continue to stare.