Chapter Two: Shaun

I shiver in fear at Kristina's feral grin. She just laughs at my obvious terror, and then turns away to write her name on the assignment. I quickly scrabble to do the same. She begins reading the instructions aloud, and I follow along silently. After Kristina reads the rest of the directions, we get to work identifying chemical properties. Afterwards, we spend a few minutes silently writing paragraph summaries, and then Kristina turns in both of our assignments.

Kristina has a quick conversation with Mrs. Belle, and then flounces back to her seat next to me. "Hey Shaun," Kristina begins, "Would you want to ride with me to my house tomorrow for our group meeting?" I'm incredibly stunned by her offer, no one ever wants to hang out with me willingly. I realize too late that I've said "no one ever wants to hang out with me willingly" aloud. I turn an inhuman shade of red, but Kristina only laughs, seeming endlessly amused by my troubles.

"That's a personal problem." She says, her eyes dancing with humor. "But the offer still stands." I feel like I'm having an out of body experience, is someone actually trying to be my friend? I suppose I wouldn't know, no one has ever attempted it before.

Kristina is still waiting for an answer, and since it's probably more embarrassing to be dropped off by your mom, I find myself saying yes. Kristina wiggles in her seat clearly very happy with my response, and I can't help but wonder if I've made the right choice.

The rest of the day goes by in a blur. I stare off into the dark void of my mind for hours, wondering what it's like to have actual friends, and worrying if I'll embarrass myself in front of people (the answer is yes). I ride the bus home, avoiding the back where the self-titled "cool kids" sit everyday. I brave the spitballs and petty insults throw by the elementary kids in the front of the bus. A little kid, who looks like he is probably in second grade pops his head over his seat to look at me. He grins and starts chanting that I'm a moron. I roll my eyes and flick him in the forehead. Tears well up in his eyes, he shuts up and sits back down properly. I chuckle to myself, that'll teach those dumbass toddlers to keep their mouths shut. I open up my bag to retrieve my headphones. I slip them on over my head and forget that my crummy life exists.

The bus screeches to a stop, and I almost break my nose when slamming into the seat in front of me. The bus driver stands up and looks at us. "We're having some difficulties, if you have a phone on you I would advise you to contact your parents. If not, borrow." He sits back down and flips through a magazine. I'm pretty much certain that it's against protocal to let people leave the bus without actually dropping them off at their stop, but the driver doesn't really seem to care. We couldn't be more then ten minutes away from the school. I look through my contacts on my phone, I wonder if Kristina could pick me up. I know she is only like five or ten minutes away from here. Plus my parents are busy. They both have work. I send her a quick text on the group chat.

Shuan: Hey Kristina, do you think you could pick me up? My bus broke down and my parents are at work. I am at Pine Rd. we're like 10 minutes away from the school. If not that's okay?

I get a response almost immediately

Kristina: For sure! :P

I hide my smile and simply write back, "Thanks".

Kristina pulls up around eight minutes later in an old beat up sedan. She sends me a quick text saying she's here. I grab my bag, and quickly exit the bus, avoiding the questioning stares of the grubby children surrounding me. One young girl, her blond hair hanging in greasy ropes around her shoulders, reaches for my hand with fingers covered in wet cheeto dust. I shriek in terror, and hold my backpack in front of me for protection. The grease-girl pulls her hand back, and eyes me beseechingly. I groan, and edge away from her large puppy dog eyes.