Markings

It had been a year since the Dark Lord had been defeated, but it would take longer than that to fix what had been done.
The houses were more divided than ever- but specifically was Slytherin and all other three.
Nobody wanted to be seen with those associated with the Dark Lord, leaving all the Slytherins to their own devices and their own entertainment.

What was worse than this, was that even within the Slytherins, Draco was cast out.
Most Slytherins hadn't been on the Dark Lord's side, but it was because of students like Draco that they were being ridiculed for it.
So, he often found himself straying far from the common rooms, the dorms, sticking to himself as often as he could.
And this worked just fine for him- despite not liking it, he could tolerate it.

However, what he couldn't tolerate was the shit he got when he wasn't just sticking to himself.

What could easily be exploited when it came to Draco was his death-mark.
He had been a Death-Eater and would continue to be seen as one so long as he held this mark.
Without any easy way of removal, the blonde was subjected to long-sleeves and brisk walking, lest he should find himself in a situation like right now.
Pinned up against the wall by two Gryffindors was not how he'd expected his walk to class to play out...though he wasn't exactly surprised.

Right now, he had a busted lip and the beginnings of a black eye.
He didn't try to fight back, he knew that if he did, he'd get in more trouble than his attackers.
As, even the teachers showed a bias. And who could blame them?
Draco had done awful things...
Unforgivable things...
But he was trying to be better.
He never wanted to become what he had- but he did anyway.
But he didn't want that anymore...
However, it didn't seem others were willing to notice this.

Seamus was small but fierce, and his wand was nothing to be trifled with, as it could just about blow anything up that it desired.
And with it currently pressing up against Malfoy's chin, he didn't do much to speak against it.

"My mum thinks you shouldn't be here- I'd have to agree." Seamus sneered.

"Talking to mum because she's the only one who'll listen to you? Really, Seamus, you should invest in better friends than-" Draco received a blow to the head and staggered to the ground.

"Watch your mouth, Death-Eater!" Seamus glared sown at the blonde, now curled in on himself, hand to a bleeding forehead, blood pooling to the ground.

"I am not a-"

Seamus bent down and grabbed Draco by the wrist, throwing his sleeve up to reveal the dark mark, "This mark says otherwise. Why not just cut it off if you're so keen on redeeming yourself? Maybe if we're lucky you'll bleed o-"

"What are you all doing over here? Get to class at once!"

Seamus and those who'd gathered for a moment to see what had been going on quickly bustled away at the sound of authority.

Draco didn't move right away, simply stood where he was. Blood covered his right eye, making it hard for him to see once he rose to his feet, stumbling down the hall, completely ignoring the fact that he should be in class and instead heading towards the nearest staircase.
He wobbled down the steps until he tripped, falling sideways and to his knees on the steps below.
It was quiet here, with the staircase spiraling down to nowhere in particular. Quiet until Draco's sniffling broke the tension of the absence of sound.

"I-I can't." Draco whined as he looked down at the dark mark, it burning like fire. He lifted his wand, muttering counter-curse after counter-curse, only for them to bounce off the scar as per usual.
It only fueled the pain inside the blonde's chest as it shook with a sob, his wand hitting the ground.
Perhaps it was the fact that he had not chosen his own wand, or that he simply would never be as powerful as the caster of his mark, but whatever it was, it made him feel weak.
Weak that he'd allow himself to be deceived- no. Rather that, he hadn't been deceived, but manipulated. And he'd allowed this to happen.

Draco hung his head low, allowing blood to drip from it and onto his arm.
He deserved this.
He deserved all of this, he-
Amidst his crying, Draco hadn't heard the sound of quiet footsteps making their way down the stairs, and it startled him when he felt a a hand touch his forearm.
He quickly dragged it away, turning his head wildly to the left to lock eyes with Potter himself.
Draco's mouth open and closed multiple times as he searched for words, but none came.
Harry's eyes darted down to Draco's arm and he cocked an eyebrow before gently touching the spot just above Draco's mark.

Draco looked at the stone wall beside him, unsure as how to feel at the moment. He closed his eyes. What was Potter doing?
His skin felt warm against Draco's, ice-cold everywhere except where his hand lay on his arm. His eyes snapped open as he felt the dark-haired boy's hand gracefully ghost his dark-mark.
He looked to Harry, but the other's attention was fully taken by the mark.
His hand smoothly stroked the edges of it before gently taking Draco's hand in his.
They met eyes for another moment as Harry lifted his other arm, sleeve rolled up to show a long, healed-over scar.
There was a moment of understanding, and Draco could swear their hands held each other tighter.
They sat like this for what felt like forever...and Draco didn't feel as alone after this.