Phase xx

Within a blue-black darkness with no resistance, there ________ was.

There was no above nor below, no front nor back. Even the passage of time was ambiguous. ________ did not know who it was, why it was there.

It was silent there. Like the bottom of a well, or like the middle of the sea where, above it, a storm was passing through; it was filled with a silence like that.

_________ was surrounded in a glutinous blue-black darkness. A heavy darkness.

Beyond the darkness, a transparent wall could be seen. That was surrounding it. It was a seal, ________ instinctively understood. It wasn't that it knew such a word. ________ did not know words. That's because ________ wasn't human. But it was not with distinct words, but with a concept before that, that ________ perceived the transparent wall.

Transparent, thick, a seal that surrounded itself. With the certainty of a firm promise, the wall that separated it from the outside.

Beyond it, from time to time something flickered.

Right to left, then left to right.

Those were figures who moved to and fro beyond the seal, but ________ did not know the concept of humans.

There were some who peered in here, some who walked by briskly, some who stood there like they were making an appeal. But all figures were separated far from it by the seal. It felt like looking at the furthest reaches of the world through a telescope.

That seal was-one day broken.

The holy precincts were destroyed, the darkness sullied, invaded by the outside. Somebody was calling ________. Intense emotions struck it like a storm, and ________ gasped. It thought it was drowning. It had no interest in the outside. But the outside did not permit that.

A strong man's hand grabbed ________.

From where they made contact, red-black flames erupted.

That was the sound of a baby's first cry.

To be born meant one had to discard everything one had before then. ________ forgot. What it once was. What it felt in the darkness. The calm, blue-black darkness. The gentle solitude. Those could no longer protect it.

The sound of a baby's first cry filled the outside. It took the form of flames.

Then the flames of wrath destroyed, crushed, burnt everything that could be seen on the earth.

And then-________ was born.