Phase 4

In an unused building, Dazai and Randou are preparing the room for a party. There's cheerful music playing, cake, decorations, a particularly long ribbon catching Dazai's fancy. To this scene, Randou states this seems more like a site prepared for murder rather than a party, even though Dazai says this is to celebrate Chuuya being released from Sheep. He excitedly speaks of how Chuuya will be lured to the cake, before which the carpet covers a hole, and he will then drop into a hole of soft mud. Twenty kilograms of flour will then be dumped on him and, even while trying to breathe, he will shout vulgarities at Dazai.

Dazai then explains to Randou why it's better if Sheep and Chuuya make amends during this party.

"Firstly, it'd be better if Sheep can properly reconcile with Chuuya," Dazai said while walking. "Their situation is that of frying food in a room full of explosives. Even though they don't seem to realise it. Chuuya too, and Sheep too, they have not realised that their current system of defense is the worst substitute. What is that called? Matching the wrong buttons? An unstable group? Or maybe 'the theory of the half-grilled meat'?"

"That......theory of the half-grilled meat? What does that mean?"

"Ahh, Mori-san taught me this......imagine three youngsters going to eat grilled meat," Dazai said while holding his chin between his fingers. "Place the raw meat on the brazier, and eat it after it has been fully grilled. That's grilled meat. However, these are three youngsters with hearty appetites, and they immediately start eating from where it has been fully grilled. They want to eat more, but they can't get to the meat. In other words, it's war. Here, one of them shows sharp insight. He can just take the meat just a little before it's fully grilled. That way, he'd be able to eat before the other two. So he does so. As expected, he ate as much meat as he wanted and was very satisfied. Now then, the ratio of consumption is disadvantageous to the other two. There's no meaning in a grilled meat restaurant if they can't eat meat. Is there a solution? Of course there is. Doing what their opponent is doing......in other words, eating half-grilled meat as well. That's the only way. Thus, everyone eating the meat before it's fully grilled becomes the norm, and nobody can reverse it. Even though everyone knows 'grilled meat is more delicious when it has been thoroughly cooked'. This is 'the theory of the half-grilled meat'. Half of this world's misfortunes can be explained with this."

"Haah......in other words......as a result of each individual pursuing the optimum solution, everybody does not get the optimum solution......and the members who created this unfortunate situation no longer have the means to remove the misfortune of the group. That sort of situation?" Randou turned his head. "That's what's happening with Sheep?"

"Ufufu, for them, they don't even realise they're eating half-grilled meat. They're really interesting toys, Sheep and Chuuya-kun. If I can see so much of such situations, the underbelly of society is also a pretty fun place."

Dazai had chuckled as he said so.

"That's true......perhaps so," Randou said while holding his hands near the lighting equipment to absorb its warmth. "Violence and disputes are unnecessary for living. If everybody declares and abides by the rule that 'we shall stop eating half-grilled meat'......in other words 'let's stop fighting and forbid weapons', then the violence in this world will disappear. But in reality that will not happen. Somebody will definitely get ahead of others. Because the violence they wield by getting ahead of others will definitely yield them great profits. That being the case, the other people also have no choice but to eat 'half-grilled meat'......can only hold the violence of retaliation. That can be said to be the essence of the disputes in the dark society."

"The veteran Randou-san knows this a lot better than somebody like me," Dazai said with a thin smile.

Randou then speaks of how he was only raised to this position through Mori recognising his strengths, and how he has only gratitude towards Mori. He then asks Dazai who the culprit is.

"Ho......who is it?"

"You, Randou-san."

Silence.

It wasn't just silent, it was the silence that happened when all sound had fled.

"You fabricated the predecessor and spread the rumours of Arahabaki......anything to say?"

In response to Dazai's question, Randou scratched his head in a troubled way.

"Ah......I'm very sorry, but.....I don't really know how I should react in a situation like this. After all, I've never had the experience of being called a culprit until now."

"That's fine, everybody has a first time for everything." Dazai grinned. "Then, as a service, I'll incorporate the reactions of a culprit who has been called out and continue......first, Randou-san who has been called a culprit will react this way. 'No way, that's impossible' or 'What an interesting joke, Dazai-kun'-following which I will reply thus. 'But without mistake, you are the culprit.' Next, the culprit will object through making an emotional appeal. 'Did you not hear what I said? I feel enormous gratitude towards Mori-dono. Why would somebody like me plan an evil conspiracy to incite internal unrest and crush the mafia?'-Following me thus far, Randou-san?"

"Well......it's as you said, there's nothing I want to interject with," Randou said like he was troubled. "It's true that in my heart it's exactly as you said. And......after that, what are you going to refute with?"

"I'll say this. 'It's nothing to do with gratitude, Randou-san. Because in the first place, your aim was not to attack the mafia. The culprit's aim is elsewhere.'-How's that? Think you can take over?"

"Ahh......hmm. I'm still a bit confused but......" Randou scratched his head. "I'm troubled as I've been called a culprit. I have to refute properly......that's right. Then what's your basis? Your denunciation is nothing but conjecture......"

"'It's nothing but conjecture, there's no logical basis proving I'm the mastermind.' Exactly. You're doing well, Randou-san. Now, would I find fault with an associate executive member without basis?"

"Well......you would, going from your confidence......" Randou said with a troubled expression. "Basis coming from you......I can't imagine what it is."

"That's why you want to hear it quickly, right? Sorry for being pretentious about this," Dazai said while shrugging. "You made a mistake. A very basic mistake. I'm sure you'll regret it if I say it."

"That mistake is?"

"The sea," Dazai declared while holding up his index finger. "You said it. That when you witnessed Arahabaki of the black flames, only the seas far away had the surface of grey steel, calmly undulating."

"Ahhh......I did indeed say that. Because I actually witnessed it. And what about that......?"

"You're okay not realising it yourself?"

"Well......I'm sorry, but I don't understand. Please tell me."

"Alright." Dazai nodded with a smile. "Okay? The scene was the middle of Cone Street. And Cone Street is a half-spherical valley formed out of an explosion. In other words-"

"Ahh!" Randou abruptly shouted. "Ahhh......I see."

"Yes." Dazai nodded. "It's impossible to see it. Something like the sea. If you were in the middle of a pit, no matter how much you stretched the sea would not enter within your vision-now then, the rest is simple after realising that. Why did you say you could see the sea? The rest of your testimony was perfect, it fit with the rumours. Your description of Arahabaki had such force of persuasion that it couldn't be a lie. Conceivably, you actually saw it. The sea, that is. That's why you made a mistake. Now, to be able to see the sea from Cone Street was from long ago......before the explosion eight years ago. In other words, Randou-san, you witnessed it, didn't you? That calamity that gave rise to Cone Street. The black explosion that began the rumours of Arahabaki themselves."