Chapter 7 - Phoenix

Clancy's POV

We're all sitting on a big table, on my right there's Storm and on my left Leigh. Flynn, Ethan and Effie are on the other side of the table, sitting opposite to us. I play with the food a bit with my fork. Potato mash again.
"So, Storm, you're the famous 'Irregular'?", Flynn asks. 
I turn my face to look at Storm who is eating her mash, nodding. "That's what people call me, yeah.", she says after swallowing her food.
"You don't have a roommate, I heard?"
I can't imagine being alone in a room and how boring it must be. I share mine with Leigh and another girl called Liv. Though Liv is rather distanced, Leigh and I always find a way to entertain ourselves, ignoring the fact that we are literally living in a cell in a big prison. 
"I didn't. But...Now I do. Have you heard of the new guy?" I can hear the frustration out of her voice. 
Wait, did she just say 'guy'?
"Um, you mean that Noah guy?", Flynn asks her. Storm nods.
"He's my new roommate.", she sighs. 
"But...he's a boy?", Leigh voices quietly, though I know how aghast she is by the thought of a girl and a boy sharing a room. Her innocence is on another level. 
"Yup."
"I'd be in rage if they just put me together with a damn guy.", Effie says.
"You're always in rage.", Ivan says, glancing at her. He's not even smirking, but everyone other than Effie starts laughing. Even Storm. Seems like the ice is breaking.
"I was. I even went to Evans and gave her quite the bother.", she confesses. 
"You did?", I ask, shocked. Storm doesn't seem like someone who stands up much for herself. 
She nods. "No use, though. Mrs. Scarecrow still insisted on me sharing a room with him."
Flynn starts laughing. "Mrs. Scarecrow? That fits, good one!", he grins, offering Storm a fist bump. After her cheeks turn red – she was really shy, huh – she accepts it and bumps his fist. Maybe it was her first fist bump? What a weird thing to have it for the first time when you are 18.
"What did she say, exactly?", Effie asks her, curious as always.
But Storm shakes her head. "Let's just say it wasn't a pretty conversation."
I wonder what Mrs. Vance told her, because I can tell by her expression that it must have hurt her. We shouldn't talk about it too much if it's not a pleasant memory.
"Anyway, the new guy though, who is he?", I change the subject. 
"Noah Kieran Dunn. Nineteen. Teleportation. Good at it too. Apparently, he served quite a show at yesterdays practice.", Ivan says.
"He refused to bring a guard along while teleporting, so he didn't get and Croits.", Storm explains. I've heard she has to go to the black room while practicing as well, so she probably saw it herself.
"What a rebel.", Flynn rolls his eyes. 
"Oh, he's an asshole.", Storm joins in.
"Well, you can come to our cell before lockdown if it gets too much with him.", Leigh offers with a warm smile. She's probably the nicest person I have ever met. 
I've never seen her be mean to anyone. 
"Of course, anytime you want. It's room 1-5-2." I also smile at Storm, so she knows it's no problem at all.
"Mine is right next to theirs, on the left. You're just as welcome there.", Effie adds. She's not someone who knows how to let people know she likes them or that she wants to be friends with them. She's a bit hesitant on things like that. Rather than that, she's better at being foxy and teasing. 
Storms seems a bit stunned at our offer, but then a genuine smile builds on her face and I feel my heart getting warm. How hard must it have been for her without anyone beside her? I don't know what I would do without each and every one of my friends. 

I was sitting at my desk in school, my thirteen-year old small self. It was still pretty early and the lesson hadn't started yet, so none of my friends were here.
So, I was braiding a piece of my red hair while sitting on my table.
Then suddenly...Snap.
Shocked, I turned to my left. Red-haired Dean had cut the braided piece off.
Him and his friends were laughing at me and I was still stunned.
"What, half-breed? Satius' like your father do things that are way worse than this. You're not an Alium! You're a bitch. A privileged bitch! Just a dumb mistake that shouldn't have happened.", he says, and I found myself being on the verge of crying.
Suddenly, someone punched Dean.
Flynn. 
The others were behind him. 
"How dare you talk to Clancy like that, you asshole?", Effie took a step forwards, building fire in her palm.
I felt Leigh's hand on my shoulder, and I turned to her too see her give me a small smile.
Dean took a step back, holding his nose. His eyes widened when he saw the fire. 
"What? Are you going to piss your pants like you did yesterday?", Ivan smirked. 
Dean's face got as red as his hair.
"Apologize!", Effie demanded.
I saw the fear in his eyes.
"You heard her. Apologize.", Flynn repeated.
"I-I'm sorry.", he said, before running away out of the room, his friends following him.
When they were gone, my friends built a circle around me. 
"You okay, Phoenix?", Effie asked me. It's what they call me – Phoenix. 
I nodded. "Thanks, you guys." Now I was crying. Not just because of what Dean had said to me. But mostly because I realized how much I loved my friends. I felt cared for, and it was a beautiful feeling.
Leigh hugged me. "What he said isn't true. You're not a...what he called you." Leigh never cusses. "You're our friend.", she whispered into my ear. 
The others joined in, turning it into a group-hug.
What would I do without them?
"I love you guys."

As I snap back from the memory, I stare at Storm. 
Did she never really get to feel that?
Did she never have anyone to call 'friend'? I wonder what kept her going all this time, because for me, it was always them. My friends. 
I really want Storm to be a part of that. 
"Now we've got a new colour to our group!", I say, wanting Storm to understand that she doesn't have to be alone anymore. Never again.