Chapter 40

**I've decided to keep with the Monday/Fridays schedule for now. So here you go :) more notes @ bottom.**

Chapter 40:

"Why did you send your guards to spy on our guests, Captain?"

Standing in King Cedany's parlor hall, Ari felt oddly like a child witnessing a fellow schoolmate's scolding.

To be fair; typically, in these sorts of situations, he was the child being scolded. And yet, meeting the scowl of Eli's father head-on made him want to stick his tongue out.

"I did not trust them, Majesty."

Up close, Captain Moraine favored his son more than Ari would have suspected, especially standing next to him. Though he did not smile as much, the deep-set features and blonde-tipped eyelashes drew an unmistakable resemblance. His stance was firm and his gaze level, but the near sulky tone in his voice grated on Ari's nerves, and finally he couldn't keep his mouth shut.
"We risked a lot to come here-"

"I understand that, Carondolet."

King Cedany's expression was so placid, Ari wasn't sure if he was simply a calm sort of person, or if he had no idea what he was doing.

Carondolet. They weren't children.

As if to contradict Ari's inner thoughts, Aveline folded her arms in what almost looked like a pout. "He threw Lyla and Ari into prison."

"I thought they were dangerous," the Captain protested. "And besides; they easily escaped, anyway, or so your ward Lord Guernot tells me."

Guernot. Ari wrinkled his nose. So he was a rat. Shocking.

"It wasn't your call to make," the king said finally, the rings on his bony fingers shimmering in the light as he brought his hand up to pinch the bridge of his nose. It took Ari a moment to realize he was speaking to Captain Moraine.

Eli's father bowed his head. "I understand."

"Anyhow, I am quite certain that no harm was meant. Isn't that right, Captain?"

Eli's father glared at Aveline. She glared back.

"Of course, Your Majesty," he said stiffly.

"See?"

Was he serious? Ari gaped at him.

"If I may, perhaps we simply don't know that much about each other," offered Lucien helpfully. It was he who had escorted them to the king directly, explaining the situation with clear eloquence and fairness. Ari still wasn't quite certain how he fit in, but he obviously held some importance, to address the monarchy so familiarly.

The king's hands clapped together in a gesture not unlike his daughters. "Precisely. Trust breeds trust, as they say; and if possible, I would like for you to trust us."

He sounded sincere enough. But was he?

Lyla offered an uncomfortable smile, which the king seemed to accept as a response, and continued.

"I do hope this won't change your attending our tournament this afternoon. Camille was so looking forward to seeing you all there."

Ari slid his eyes to the princess, whose engrossed examination of her nails as she lounged sulkily in the cushioned chaise next to her father lent little aid to his argument.

"Uh, no, Your Majesty," Ari coughed. "I mean- we will attend."

"Good! Then you are dismissed."

Ari glanced back once at the Captain of the guard, whose eyes followed his every movement. Ari narrowed his eyes at him.