Chapter Six: Far From Home

I sat down on a large rock and started sobbing uncontrollably. How could he? He, of all people, should know that coming out isn't something you do like that. It takes time and preparation ... And he just threw it out there like he was stating the fucking weather. I couldn't go back there, at least not until I calmed down.

"Jamie?" A pair of beat-up Converse came into my field of view. "You're pretty far from home." When I looked up all I could do was cry more. Of course, it had to be her, the 'girlfriend' in question. God, Elgin was a dick. "Whoa, hey, are you okay?" Alex asked, sitting down beside me and putting an arm around my shoulders. It felt nice to be in her arms.

"E-Elgin just ou-outed me t-to his mom," I bawled, throwing my face into her shoulder. She smelled like rain. I'm not sure how a person could have that scent, but it was soothing.

"Oh my God, that's horrible!" She exclaimed, rubbing circles into my back and smoothing my hair. All of this was oddly calming, considering how little I knew Alex. I should have been uncomfortable, but I wasn't. Not at all.

"I know," I sniffled, pulling my face away to look her in the eyes. "I can't go back there, Alex. I was supposed to spend the night there and now I have nowhere to go because my parents are gone until at least midnight, and I forgot my key." I realized how stupid I sounded. How could I leave without anything? I was just so upset.

"My house is just around the corner, you can stay with me. Okay?" I nodded and she helped me stand up. "I'm really sorry about this morning," Alex frowned. It felt like the events from earlier that day had happened so long ago. I had almost forgotten them.

"I'm sure you had a good reason." I shrugged, letting her lead me down the street. She shook her head but didn't elaborate. I wanted to ask, but I also didn't want to pry, so I just walked silently beside her. We reached a house with a white picket fence and an immaculate garden and I looked over at Alex in confusion.

"Welcome to my humble abode," she said sarcastically, pushing open the gate.

"You live here?" I couldn't help it, I laughed. It was the perfect American-Dream house, and she was so ... Not the American-Dream kind of person. I wondered what her parents would be like. I was kind of scared.

"Don't act so surprised, Jamie. I'm offended," Alex said, looking dramatically aghast. Then she chuckled, "Nah, I get it. It's not exactly the epitome of me."

"You could say that again," I giggled, following her into her house, despite my brain's shouts of warning.

"Alexandra, you're two minutes past curf—oh. Who is this?" A lady, who I could only assume was Alex's mom, rounded the corner wearing a blue chiffon nightgown and her hair in curlers. She looked like Katy Perry before makeup, in the worst way.

"Mom, this is my friend from school. Jamie, this is my mom." Alex introduced, kicking off her shoes. "Can Jamie sleep over? Her parents left her all alone and she locked herself out of her house." Her mom gave me a once-over and then beamed at me.

"Of course, our house is open to all of God's children." She let out a dainty yawn and gave Alex a peck on the head. It looked foreign to her, but I said nothing. "You girls take care now, I'm off to bed." As soon as she was out of earshot, I burst into giggles.

"All of God's children? I didn't peg you as the religious type." In fact, I pictured Alex's parents to be 80s hair band fanatics or something equally as strange but badass. That was before I saw her house, but I was still not expecting that.

"Oh shut up," Alex rolled her eyes and shoved me forward. "My room is down the hall and to the left, I'll get us some snacks." With that, she disappeared into the kitchen and I was left alone in unknown territory. I followed the directions that she gave me and found myself in a room that was way more suited to Alex's personality. The walls were lined with posters for bands I'd never heard of and the parts of the wall you could see were a deep purple, not unlike the colour of her hair. Her bedsheets were purple, her desk chair was purple; everything was purple.