I'm Just A Moment

Connor was there, as he had promised. He was in a fresh Foo Fighters t-shirt and skinny jeans, and his hair was slightly messy but still looked clean. Best of all, he smelled like Connor again - fire smoke and peppermint. "Hey angel," he said. I smiled, even though the rest of me was in pain. "Feel better?" I shook my head, playing with the thin, frayed white sheets. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be. This is my fault, you know," I replied. He shook his head with a small smile.

"No it's not, stop saying that. It's her fault. And anyways, Alex and I talked to the doctor. Next week they're going to move you into a unit where the three of us can stay until you're released. You'll be lying down most of the time but you'll be allowed to do things normally," he replied.

"That's good," I said.

"But only if you do Therapy while we're here." I groaned, shaking my head.

"No," I replied, crossing my arms. "It won't help. I don't need help." He smiled at my determination, then leaned down and kissed me quickly, taking my hand.

"It might. You never know. I'm sorry, but that's how it has to work. It'll be okay," he replied.

"But I don't want to," I replied, looking down at the sheets and fiddling with them. He sighed, running his hands through his hair.

"Just do this for me, babe?" He asked, pushing the hair out of y eyes. I finally nodded, earning a kiss on the temple. Then the doctor walked in with a nurse.

"Alright," he said. "You're okay to take the IV and the rest of the tubes out." I nodded and they took the tubes and cords away from me. "You are not allowed to get out of bed unless you're put in an armchair, is that clear? You may go to the bathroom, but always take a button with you in case you need help. We just had a room opening so we can move the tree of you guys into an apartment tomorrow." We nodded and he left the room after the nurse checked my blood pressure.

"Can we cuddle?" I asked Connor cheesily. He laughed before crawling into the bed next to me, putting his arms around me carefully and kissing every exposed part of my face, making me laugh. "Stop it," I said, pushing his face away. He didn't, and instead planted a kiss to my lips that ended up escalating quite a bit. He eventually pulled away when I pushed on his chest, and I realized that it was almost midnight. Good lord. Connor got up to turn off the lights and then crawled back in next to me, cradling me in his arms. He planted a peck on my lips, short but sweet. I smiled and curled deeper into his frame, trying to block out the noises outside.

"Can't sleep?" He said. I shook my head, turning over carefully and painfully. "Be careful, baby." He put his arms around my waist and moved me towards him, my head finding a pillow in his chest. Then he took a breath and started singing so quietly that no one but me could hear, his free hand moving up to my hair and playing with it for awhile. He smiled when he saw that my eyelids were drooping slightly. "Sleep tight, angel," he whispered into my ear as I closed my eyes and took a breath. "I love you." He kissed my forehead and everything went black again.

********************************

"You two dead?" I heard someone ask. I opened my eyes and saw that Alex was standing there, his hands in the pocket of his skinny jeans and his hair covered in a beanie, with the slight makings of a beard around his face. I shook my head. "Well good because they're getting ready to move us. You wanna walk or should they get the wheelchair?"

"I can walk," I replied. "But I'm not unless someone has a coat or something because this gown shows my butt and I don't feel like flashing people." Alex laughed and handed me a long khaki coat that went past my knees quite a bit. I got up and slipped it on, looking over at Connor. He was obviously lost when he saw me standing up, so he looked around. "Get up, lazy. We're moving." He wrapped an arm around my waist and pulled me closer to him before shaking his head at the sight of me walking. Then he put a hand under my knee and lifted me up, bridal style, without a grunt or groan.