Chapter 2

The next morning Carly woke up from a deep sleep. Her hair was a knotted mess. Carly got up from the loveseat and walked up the basement stairs. When she got up the stairs, Carly saw her mother slowly picking at food.

She saw her mom sitting at kitchen table eating broken heart shaped waffles. The kitchen was painted white and green. Betty dipped her fork that had waffle on it into the Log Cabin brand syrup. It looked like Her mother had tears in her eyes.

"Mom?" Carly said.

Betty didn't budge. Carly walked closer to her mother's chair. Carly put her hands on her mother's shoulders. "Mom, are you okay?"

Betty still didn't say anything as silent tears, that Carly couldn't see fell. Betty was a single mother who was around the age of 46. Betty had Carly when she was 18. A guy named Bill had took her virginity. Then after that he was seen no more.

As Betty finished up, Carly waited patiently hoping to get a few words from her mother. As Betty wiped her mouth with a napkin, Carly sat down.

Reaching for her mother's hand, Carly placed her hand on top of Betty's hand. Betty was looking down at her shoes. Red high heels were what she wore.

"What's wrong? Please tell me." Carly asked.

No answer and this time Betty moved her had away from Carly's.

"Oh I see how it is. You're still mad at me." Carly said.

"I am not mad at you." Betty said in a soft spoken tone.

This made Carly upset. "Then what is it? If I make you mad I can easily leave." Carly said.

"Carly, it's not you okay." Betty said quietly.

"Then what is it? We have to communicate sometime." Carly said.

Betty got up from the table and put her dishes in the sink. Then, Betty walked to her bedroom with Carly taunting her all the way there.

"So now you're walking away?" Carly asked.

"Carly stop." Betty said. She was getting fed up with Carly.

"No I want to talk." Carly said sternly.

"I don't." Betty said.

"What is the matter with you? Do you not love me? Are still mad from last night? We can talk this over if you let me." Carly said.

Betty reached her bedroom door, opened it and walked in without saying a word. She slammed the door shut behind her leaving Carly to be saddened.

"So that's it? You're just shutting me out? I WANNA TALK!" Carly shouted.

Inside the bedroom, the screams raged. Carly went on for about two minutes and then left.

Betty sat on her bed and on her bed was a school notebook that Bill bought Betty. She kept it always. After last night, Betty dug out all her romantic stuff. She didn't have much.

Betty was angry at the world for not bringing her love. All she had was a child and sometimes that was too much or even sometimes too little. Betty put her hand on the notebook and sang in a low tone.

"Me, I carry too much baggage

Oh God, I've seen so much traffic."

"I'm sorry." Carly hadn't left at all. She was listening through the door once she had quieted down.

"I know you are." Betty said.

"Can I come in? Please?" Carly asked.

Carly's heart had definitely changed when she heard her mother singing. Carly was being so self concerned that she didn't think about her mother's feelings.

"Sure." Betty tried to hide the pain in her voice.

Carly sat down on her mother's bed and hugged her.

"I'm sorry Mom. I shouldn't have acted up last night or today. I was just mad about how you treated me and Taron last night. Though I enjoyed having him over while I ate. That was cool." Carly said.

Betty gave a weak smile. She couldn't be that mad because Carly was her baby. She'll always be her baby.

"I'm sorry too. I shouldn't have treated you guys like that. You guys have a life to live. I love you so much. And I like Taron too." Betty said.

Carly smiled and hugged her. "Hey Mom are you hungry?" Carly asked.

"How about a sub from Curios?" Betty asked.

"Sure. I'll go get us some subs." Carly asked.

"Thanks Carly." Betty said.

"No problem." Carly said. Carly collected her purse and headed out the door. When Carly walked out, Betty felt the silence of the world. All the pain she experienced came crashing down on her.

She just wished she didn't have to be alone when Carly went out. Betty wanted love and compassion from a guy. She would never get it though. She knew it.

Betty's mind faded back to last night. Carly coming up the driveway with Taron. Happy and giggly. Taron picking up Carly bridal style and spinning her around. That was cute.

Betty remembered a time when Bill twirled her around like a ballerina in his parents living room. That was before Bill had got her pregnant.

The pregnancy...Betty shuddered at the thought of it. It shouldn't have happened that October night but it did. Behind Bill's dad's bar. It only took about a month to find out she was pregnant. When Betty told her mother her reply was...

"You must be kidding. If you are pregnant please go live with you grandmother. I'm sorry I just can't take care of three people in this house."

Betty could still here those words ring in her mind. Her mother never wanted her or took interest in her daughter.

Betty pushed all negative thoughts aside and laid in her bed. The brown covers she pulled over her head. Betty's thoughts still continued to hound her though. She shut her eyes but hot tears escaped. Carly would never ever know. Or care. Betty wiped the tears away and went to sleep.

It wasn't until the door opened and Carly shouted "I'm home!"

That Betty woke up and had to fake even more.