Just the beginning

Their plan had been--just do whatever you want to without thinking of consequences.

Rohit went down to the reception with the entire team following behind.

Sofia was standing there in all her revolting glory.

"Rohit," she said, drawing out the name.

"Do I know you?" asked Rohit in a confused voice.

"Stop pretending," she snapped.

"What am I supposed to pretend?" wondered Rohit aloud.

"Look, I'm staying in the same hotel as you guys, so..." she began.

"It's a good hotel," said Yuzi from the background. "Great, in fact."

"Why are you advertising the hotel?" hissed Kuldeep.

"Actually, it's one of the best hotels you can get," said Hardik, coming forward. "You know, even some famous actresses and models come here to relax," he went on smoothly. "There is a remarkable beauty parlour and spa service available, did you know, ma'am? You could try, I guess they might consent to try you--what d'you say, Bhuvi?" Hardik turned to him.

Bhuvi was looking at Hardik with a mix of amusement and disapproval, but this time he was not in a mood to back away--because it was Rohit's honour they had vowed to protect.

"Well, you can't deny she needs it," said Bhuvi with a perfectly straight face.

Virat and Hardik started howling with laughter at this unexpected comment from Bhuvi, and of course, that was the cue for everyone to join in.

Sofia Hayat stood glaring at Hardik and Bhuvi, which made her ugly face look even uglier.

"If this is the sort of company you're hanging around with these days, Rohit, there's no doubt regarding the level you've fallen to," she said, stepping towards Rohit.

"D'you think this ridiculous she-creature is confusing you with someone else, Rohit?" asked Rahul, looking up and down the woman in disgust.

"Maybe she's one of those obsessive fans of the team we get," said Virat, with a special emphasis on the word 'fan'.

"Just a fan of Rohit, you mean?" asked Jassi with a wink.

"Or maybe she's divorced, and her husband's name was Rohit," suggested Jaddu snidely.

"Maybe her husband died, and his name was Rohit," said Hardik vindictively.

"Maybe her brother died--" said Jaddu.

"Or her father--" said Hardik.

"God, shut up, you two," groaned Jinks. "Maybe she died herself, and has come to haunt Rohit!"

The team once again dissolved in helpless fits of laughter.

Rohit had tears of laughter in his eyes. He hadn't really realised his teammates could be this droll and stupid when they wanted to be. Sofia was looking ready to burst, of course, because she had hardly been given a chance to speak, and was clearly on the back foot.

"Hiding behind a bunch of wild hooligans doesn't make you cool--" she began furiously.

Hardik had sneaked up behind Sofia without her noticing.

As soon as she finished her words, Hardik screeched inhumanly loudly in her ears.

Sofia shrieked and ran towards the lift door for dear life, screaming abuses at them.

"YOU WANT WILD HOOLIGANS?" roared Shikhar.

"--part of the national team--shame on you guys, shame on--"

Kuldeep, who was standing nearest to the lift and had noticed that her shoelace had come undone, casually stepped on it.

As Sofia was about to enter the lift, mid-rant, she tripped and fell down hard.

"Jio, Kuliya!" cried Virat, amidst the chaos of laughter that had started again.

Finally Sofia Hayat managed to get away.

The entire Indian team collapsed on the floor of the hotel (meant for the highest class people), paralyzed with laughter, simply unable to stop.

"Jinks' ghost theory!" howled Yuzi, literally rolling on the floor.

"Hardik sneaking up behind her!" choked Rohit, helplessly holding on to Virat.

"Ridiculous she-creature!" snorted Jaddu, who was down on all fours, banging the ground in time with fits of laughter.

"How terribly immature we behaved just now!" But Jinks was rocking back and forth with laughter too.

"And this is just the beginning." Bhuvi sounded truly evil.

Virat felt prouder of his team than ever on the field.