And the worthy farewell

The team then went for a hasty breakfast, but they had still sent Shikhar as spy to confirm that Sofia was really leaving the hotel.

Shikhar met the team coming out of the dining room, full of positive news.

"Apparently her 'ghosts' conclusion has made the hotel owner kick her out himself," he reported, chuckling in glee.

"Mission accomplished!"

"We did it!"

"We avenged Rohit bhai!"

"One last thing," said Virat. "We should give her a proper farewell." His voice was grave.

____________

And two hours later, the ICT was hanging around in the garden near the main gate of the hotel, pretending to be listening to songs.

It was nearly noon when Sofia Hayat was spotted coming towards them from a distance, lugging two bags. Evidently, the hotel owner hadn't even bothered to send any staff to help her carry them.

"All set?" whispered Jinks.

At least five of them, who were involved in the final plan, nodded.

As Sofia spotted then, she looked shocked and horrified.

Abruptly Virat remembered how Rohit had looked shocked and horrified the day the phone call came--and now, he glanced at Rohit, and saw that Rohit was grinning widely, his eyes alight with wickedness just like the rest of the team.

Rohit no longer held Sofia Hayat in horror.

They had well and truly managed to turn the tables.

Sofia Hayat tried to ignore them as she hurriedly came by.

"Hardik, put down that hose!" said Bhuvi exasperatedly, as Hardik raised the garden hose above his head.

"Kuldeep hit me first!" protested Hardik.

Sofia Hayat froze immediately--she had finally begun to sense an incoming trick.

But there was nothing she could do as Hardik and Kuldeep grappled with the hose, cursing each other loudly, and quite expectedly, water started gushing out the very moment the hose was directed at Sofia Hayat [because Rishabh was at the far end of the garden, controlling the taps.]

Sofia screamed in helpless fury, but she had the sense not to argue with the men standing together in front of her, laughing their heads off.

Maybe she had realised that no one in the world could defeat the Men in Blue when they stood together.

Or maybe she wanted to escape this nightmare as soon as possible, at the end of which she had green hair, a blackish face (because Jinks had used 'permanent' marker), torn clothes, and now she was sopping wet too, into the bargain.

She had almost passed her tormentors when Virat fell in step with her.

"Enjoyed your stay here?" he asked courteously, as Rahul stood capturing a video in his camera.

"Shut up," she muttered.

"She must've enjoyed it," put in Yuzi. "It's one of the best hotels of the country after all!"