09 : Ticking

Bigla namang lumabas sina Hiroshi at Hayate mula sa quarters nila kaya hindi niya nasagot ang tanong ko. However, she gave me a melancholic gaze but I could also see a hint of menace in it.

'Don't dig deeper, J,' she said using her inner voice. 'Sometimes, not knowing is better.'

Nagtuluy-tuloy naman siyang maglakad hanggang sa makasalubong niya ang dalawa.

"Good work," she commented while looking at Hayate. Smirking, she looked at Hiroshi and said, "and you should do better."

Hindi naman na nakaganti si Hiroshi dahil nilampasan na niya silang dalawa at nagdire-diretso siya sa kwarto niya. They sat right next to me and Hiroshi was still glaring at her room.

"Give up," sabi bigla ni Hayate. "You'll never win against her."

"That's because I'm not even trying," he retorted.

"But you look like you're planning something right now," I added. "That's the same face you make when you're about to design a device."

Bigla naman siyang tumingin sa akin. "Now that's worth a try," he said. "I'd like to make a device that could look into someone's thoughts buried deep down their brains."

Nagkatinginan naman kami ni Hayate. That would be dangerous. And I'm sure na kami ang magiging lab rat ng lalaking 'to.

'Regarding that matter . . .' said Hayate using his inner voice directed only to the two of us. 'What can you say about her behavior during this case?'

'Suspicious,' Hiroshi responded. 'Especially when I mentioned the Hansen clan.'

Hansen clan . . .

According to Hiroshi's sources, it was once part of the main clans in the Senshin tribe before it was annihilated. Senshins couldn't salvage anything from their village and no traces were left so they were left with little to no data about the tragedy.

'Her hatred toward Shinigamis is also suspicious,' dagdag ni Hayate at napatingin silang dalawa sa akin.

'What?'

'Do you know anything, Reina? You look like you're hiding something.'

It felt like their eyes were looking right into my mind so I had to block the thoughts that were trying to resurface. Heaving a sigh, I finally gave in.

'Her weapon was made from metals covered in blood,' I said. 'When I accidentally touched her sickle, that was what I saw.'

'For vengeance?'

'Not sure.'

'Do you think she's . . .'

'Probably.'

Kana's background was still a mystery for us but it would be rude to ask her about it. However, her repulsive behavior against Shinigamis was a huge clue about her purpose. She got into Tantei High through a special admission and we knew people like her were either carrying a mission or relaying messages from their family or headquarters to the administration and vice versa.

Kana seemed to be a different case.

After several minutes of discussion, Hiroshi retired to his room. Hayate and I began recording and summarizing our second case but we still need Doras' statement since she provided the materials for Tadeo's bombs.

"Pupunta ka na ba kay Doras?" asked Hayate.

"Yeah. Why?"

Tumayo naman siya at nagsimulang magligpit. "I'll go with you," he said.