4. Meetings and Murders

Freya

"I see this as a perfect opportunity for you, Ms. Adams."

I glanced at Drake who was sitting on the office chair facing mine, a puzzled look on my face. "I don't—"

"I think it's a perfect chance for her to finally use her detective skills." Drake forced a smile and then nodded at me.

I furrowed my eyes until Captain Carter chose to talk. It was surprising how intimidating a man in his twenties can be, or maybe how he got into this position so fast.

"What about you, Ms. Adams. What's your opinion." He placed his head on his hands.

"I—uhm." Drake nodded at me once again. "I'm ready."

"Well then." He outstretched his hands, and I stared at it until I realized I had to shake it.

We shook hands, and I wanted to shake my head. But I couldn't.

***

I'd always thought whatever was inside me that made me this way was limited. I outstretched my hands to move the clothes scattered around the room; a collection of black and grey, into the bag.

Of course, nothing happened. Except I smiled at how stupid that was. Telekinesis would've been great; I would've saved everyone from getting wounded in the first place.

I wouldn't have to hurt myself each and every day.

So I plopped down on the couch. I had to bend my whole body downward to reach the earphones under it, my hair scratching my face like a dark brown bush.

The earphones in my hand had spots of dried blood, almost making it look polka dotted.

"Ms. Adams?" Someone knocked politely, for once, on my door.

I opened the door, twirling my headphones around my fingers as a sort of comfort.

"Sorry to interrupt." A man that looked like he was in his mid-twenties with hair almost as white as my earphones fixed his tie. "Captain Carter assigned you, right?"

Moving the earphones behind my back in embarrassment, I replied, "yes. Yes, he did."

"Trevor." He grinned before looking behind at the woman I didn't happen to notice. "This is Orion."

Orion's face was as blank as the art canvas I'd deserted years ago when I got out of my art phase.

"Orion," Trever repeated.

"Hello."

Her voice wasn't that different too.

"Since we're going to be a team, we thought we'd help you pack. It's the least we can do to make you feel welcome." Trever handed me a dark blue bag and smiled. "Consider it a gift."

"Thank you," I replied as I stared at the bag in my hands. I wanted to open it right at this second, but I had to get a hold of myself. "Come in."

They both stepped in. Before I could even utter another word, Orion motioned to me with her hands—or at least I thought she did.

All my clothes spun around like some sort of mini tornado before ending up in my bag.

I looked around me like a lost kid, trying to wipe my eyes several times to actually let it sink in. I thought I was the only one with powers.

I thought I was special.

"All done. Can we go now?" She'd already stretched her legs on my couch, stilettos darker and smoother than her hair involved, as she yawned.