thirty {Arya's POV}

"Steve?" I asked, but my voice was just a mere whisper.

"Hi, Arya," he said, not taking his eyes off the lake. "Hey, Sam."

"Cap?" Sam questioned. Steve turned to us with a smile. "So did something go wrong or did something go right?"

"Well, after I put the Stones back, I thought... maybe I... should try some of that life that Tony was telling me to get." With a sympathetic smile, he looked at me.

"How did that work out for you?" I asked quietly.

He started to nod. "It was beautiful."

My throat shut and I was left speechless as a tear rolled down my face. The realisation that I lost yet another member of my family started to sink in.

"We're happy for you. Truly," Sam said for me, softly squeezing my shoulder.

"Thank you," Steve said.

"No, thank you," I spoke up again, earning a slightly puzzled look from Steve. "You were there for me when no one else was. You've taught me so much. Thank you for everything." 

He nodded, smiling. "You're going to be just fine, Arya. You have so many people who love you, just... don't shut them out when things get rough." 

I shook my head, tears pricking my eyes again. "I won't." 

"Good," he said. He reached out a hand and gave mine a squeeze. "But if you ever need someone to talk to, I'm still around."

"The only thing bumming me out is the fact I have to live in a world without Captain America," Sam stated.

"Oh," Steve mumbled, fetching a large, round object cloaked by a leather case from beside him. "That reminds me." He opened the case to reveal his red, white and blue shield in perfect condition. The last time I had seen that was on the battlefield, but it had been completely destroyed by Thanos. 

Sam looked at it with a smile filled with admiration. "Try it on," said Steve and Sam's smile fell. His eyes travelled to Bucky Barnes, who was still standing behind us. The brunet nodded once, assuring Sam that he was okay with it. 

I decided that was my cue to leave and I stepped back, allowing Sam to have this moment with Steve. Sam slowly and hesitantly picked up the shield and slipped his arm through the straps. "How does it feel?" Steve asked. I stood next to Bucky. 

"Like it's someone else's," Sam muttered. 

"It isn't," Steve stated plainly. 

Sam let out a breath, his chest rising and falling. He lifted his chin, relishing the moment. "Thank you," he told Steve. "I'll do my best." 

The two shook hands and Steve used his other to pat the two hands in the middle. "That's why it's yours," he said. 

"You wanna tell me about her?" Sam asked, motioning to the gold wedding band around Steve's ring finger. 

The former soldier looked across the lake. "No," he said. "No, I don't think I will." 

I smiled, placing my hand on Bucky's arm for a second before retreating to my family home. I stopped at a distance, seeing most people had left. The ones who were still there were conversing, reminiscing. 

I saw Peter sitting against the house, a sleeping Morgan in his arms, her head resting on his chest. Nick Fury and Maria Hill were on the docks, talking. Bruce and Clint were sitting at the picnic table in the yard, two cups of coffee between them. May was talking to Pepper and I saw the Guardians sitting on a fallen tree trunk. 

A hand was placed on my shoulder and turned my head, seeing Carol Danvers standing next to me. "Hey. How are you holding up?" she asked softly. 

I shook my head. "I don't know," I whispered, earning a confused look. "I don't know how to feel. Everyone is leaving me and I don't know who's next. I got my boyfriend back, but I lost Natasha, I lost Steve, and I lost my father. I don't know if I'm gonna see Thor ever again, or Clint. I just..." A sob left my mouth and I quickly covered it, only to be pulled into a tight hug. Carol held me against her as choking sobs erupted from my throat, hot tears streaming down my face. 

"You're not going to lose any more people. They're gonna stay by your side because that's what you deserve. You care so much for people and they would be stupid to let you walk out of their lives," she spoke softly, warmly. She pulled back, holding my face in her hands. "You're going to get through this pain. I promise." 

In the five years that I had lived without Peter, Carol and I had often talked through the holograms. She had told me about her day, and I had told her about mine. On nights when I couldn't sleep, we'd talk about anything and everything. She knew everything about me, maybe even more than Peter did at this point. 

I tried to smile as I wiped away the tears from my face. "Come on. I think Peter wants to see you," she said and I nodded. She took me to the porch where we found Peter still in the same spot. He got up, still holding Morgan. 

"Hey," he said quietly. 

"Hey." I held out my hands and he handed Morgan to me. Her eyes fluttered open as she looked up at me tiredly. I smiled softly. "Hey, there."

"Hi," she mumbled. Her eye fell on Carol. "Are you the Star Woman that Daddy told me about?" 

Carol chuckled softly. "That must be me." 

"Mommy told me that Daddy is in the stars too. Can you tell him something when you go back?" Morgan asked her. 

"Of course," Carol said. "What do you want me to tell him?" 

"Can you tell him that I love him 3000?" Morgan asked before nestling her head in the crook of my neck. Peter wrapped his arm around me as I lowered my head, trying to hide my teary eyes from Morgan. 

Carol smiled, blinking a little faster. "I'll tell him that. Of course, I will." 

"Thank you," Morgan mumbled, her eyes falling shut again. 

"Thank you, Carol," I said and she nodded. 

"Hang in there, Arya. You're not alone," she said, squeezing my arm. "I'll see you around." 

"See you, Carol." 

Pepper came up to us. "Do you want me to take her to bed?" 

I nodded, handing Morgan to her mother. "Thanks, Pep." 

"Of course." She smiled lightly. I noticed the tears in her eyes and at that moment, I realised how strong she was. 

I hadn't seen her cry once since Tony died on the battlefield. She had stood tall in front of everyone. She was heartbroken, but she didn't let that show. She stayed strong for me, but more importantly, for Morgan. 

I turned to Peter as she walked away. "I love you." 

"I love you too," he said, pressing a kiss to my temple. "And Carol was right, by the way. You're not alone. If you ever need me, I'll be there. I'll be there no matter what. Okay?" 

I nodded. "Okay," I agreed. "Same goes for you. I'm here for you, Pete." 

"I'm not the one who lost their dad, Ry," he mumbled. 

I shook my head. "That doesn't matter. You're allowed to be hurt." 

"I know," he muttered before engulfing me in a much-needed hug. My head was tucked under his chin as I listened to his heartbeat. It was faster than usual, I noticed. His fingers were absentmindedly brushing through my hair that lay against my back. 

Last night, I hadn't slept. Peter had stayed with me, and I had refused to go to sleep. My mind was replaying my father's death over and over again and I had spent most of the night sobbing and screaming for him to come back. 

Peter had slept for about an hour after I had calmed down slightly to the point that I was just softly whimpering. Soon after he had drifted off, he woke up with a start after a nightmare. Neither of us had slept afterwards. 

Today felt surreal. Like a bad dream that I needed to wake up from. My father was gone. And I was on my own.