Revelations

Black smoke billowed across the blindingly bright sky. Dragons collided in the sky above her, creating the most devastating sound any being had ever heard. The war was drawing everything in the universe to a striking halt, she could feel it. Her gut wrenched at the thought of more death occurring on this once lush green land. Slowly she picked her hand up and brought it to her face, noticing the iron smell of the blood that soaked the ground below her.

This was once a beautiful and peaceful land, but time and time again it was plagued with the same issues, power-hungry beings, and blood filled wars. There was no end to the vicious cycle it seemed. History repeated itself over and over again, begging to be changed just once.

How could this have happened?? How could I have let this happen? She mused with tears flowing down the side of her bleeding face. How had she made the same mistake again and again. All over him. All over the thought of just proving that she could be the person they all thought she was. She believed him with every ounce of her being but it always brought her here. Maybe he does this to you, have you ever considered that? We have a destiny and you throw it away for him with each passing moment you spend with him. How have you not realized he is your greatest weakness? Her dark cynical side glowed in triumph.

As if on command, he landed beside her. The dragon that had landed beside her was large and brooding. He was covered with blood, but his scales were shinning for the glory of battle he seemed to always carry out with the finesse of a natural predator. He pleaded with the man beside her. But she heard nothing. The man shook his head, and she knew that was not a good sign judging by the roar the dragon released. A roar that even without hearing shook her to the very core of her soul. She tried to lift her had to touch the glimmering scales on his leg, but she couldn't. He jolted into the air, flying straight at the larger dragon hovering above her small crumpled body.

Sheer panicked squeezed her heart with the knowledge of how this was all going to end. How this all always ended.

Slowly all feeling drained from her limbs, leaving her too numb to even think about the numbness.

"I swear to you, next time will be different. Next time I will not let this happen" a familiar sounding voice pleaded as she faded into the dark abyss known only as death. A creeping feeling of returning home engulfed her in the last possible moment, leaving the war raging in front of her to continue to its projected finish.