28.1 | Then So Shall It Be

// then so shall it be | part 01 //

My feet slapped against the floor. My sweat managed to keep me from sliding on the marble flooring. The pointe shoes made by magic swung from my hands as I ran. I panted, lungs begging me to stop. But I couldn't. I had to keep going — had to do something.

    I was possessed, I wanted to claim. It hadn't been me that had closed my eyes and leaned in. But I couldn't say it. It was me that did it — that had wanted it.

    A groan erupted from my lips and I kicked at the air. My face only seemed to get hotter. I brought my arm back as though to hurl my ballet shoes — but I couldn't throw something so precious.

    Ugh, why did I want to kiss him? Had it merely been the moment? The exhilaration of dancing coursing through my veins, the soft lighting, the swelling music, the purr of his voice — I got swept away in it all.

    Or was it perhaps pity? There was no doubt I pitied him. His loneliness, his incarcerated mother, the despair clinging to him — he was a pitiful creature.

    My steps slowed, and a chill rushed across my skin, bringing goosebumps. I crossed my arms to stave off the cold, my lips pursing.

    What if . . . . What if it were simpler than that?

    I shook my head. I refused to explore that line of thought. The answers would scare me — I didn't want to think of the consequences of such answers.

    When I came to my bedroom, I found the door already open. Eika stood inside, wiping down the table. As I watched her, tears filled my eyes.

    "Eika." My voice broke.

    One of her eyes glanced at me, the other following a second later. She left the rag on the table and rushed to me. "Belline, what's wrong? What happened?" She surveyed my outfit, the shoes in my hand, my smudged makeup and loose hairstyle.

    "Eika, I can't stay here."

    "Come, Belline." She closed the door and led me to the bed, guiding me to sit on the edge. She handed me a washcloth to dab at my eyes and the makeup. "Would you like to tell me what happened?"

    I shook my head but said, "I — I danced for the Prince and he — he was so nice and we — we almost — but if I stay any longer, I won't want to go home. I have to go home, Eika. I can't stay here. I don't belong. But — but everyone's making it so hard."

    She let me cry on her shoulder, stroking my hair. But the motherly action squeezed my heart and I sobbed harder.

    I had already fallen for Eternity. And Eika was my closest friend and guardian, Jack my quiet protector, Kit like a protective brother. I even housed a fondness for the King, with his astonishing strength and upbeat personality. And now the Prince—

    "Eika?"

    "Yes, Belline Paris?"

    My full name offered a comfort it never had before.

    "Can I be alone right now?"

    She brushed some hair out of my face, casting me a reassuring smile. "Of course. I will be here whenever you need me."

    She left, shutting the door behind her. I sighed, tears flowing, as I slid down the bed and onto the floor.

    I couldn't imagine living in Tacoma, Washington nine months out of the year at college. I only ever envisioned myself in Portland, with the gray days and coffee aesthetic and wandering downtown to listen to the busking events. I had it planned out: work full-time until I could afford a space for a dance studio. Or I could partner with Michelle at her studio.