18 | It's Too Late

// it's too late //

I wanted both of us to survive, somehow. I didn't want this competition to eliminate twenty-nine girls — twenty-seven was already a staggering amount.

We mounted the tsulin again and galloped toward the eastern edge of Eternity. But before we could come across the wheat fields, we turned left, headed north.

Now at a trot, I could make out the view before us: trees towered above us, almost making the sky disappear behind their thick boughs and leaves. The green was such a deep and dark color, it looked black. I could only assume we would have to venture inside the forest.

The servant slid off her tsulin, and we did the same. The horse-like creatures were jumpy, their tails flicking faster than usual and their ears twitching. They hopped from hoof to hoof, as though antsy to leave.

"The final round takes place in this forest." The servant pointed at the dense darkness before us. "In there, you will find a Cuxio named Dionaea. The goal of this round is to defeat it."

Twenty-one and I exchanged a look.

"That is all that is needed to win this competition. Maidens, I wish you luck." She bowed and leaped back onto her tsulin. They raced off, a blur of color and dirt.

"Sounds simple enough." Twenty-one shrugged a shoulder and marched toward the forest.

I rushed to catch up. "These things are never simple though, remember?"

The forest was made of only plantlife and shadow. I could barely see my feet against the ground, worried we'd get lost. But I wondered if the trees would help this time too.

Unlike the forest from the second trial, this one felt alive. The plants around us pulsed, as though breathing. They groaned and moved. I could have sworn they stared back at us.

"Hey." Twenty-one's voice came from beside me, startling me. "You got any idea what this Dion-whatever thing looks like? Some tip for someone who's actually blind in this competition."

I had to roll my eyes. "I know as much as you do, twenty-one. So, no, I have no idea what this thing looks like."

She scoffed, then all I could hear were her shuffling footsteps.

Yelping, I tripped over an exposed root. I felt along the bark of the trunk as I stood up. As my fingertips brushed the rough whorls and ridges, a whirring sound surrounded me, followed by dim lights.

My eyes lifted. In the underbelly ribbing of a mushroom tree floated orbs of pink, blue, and white light. They were just bright enough to illuminate the space around me.

Curious, I touched the tree next to it. The orbs whirred to life. I tapped the next tree, and the same thing happened.

I could create my own path of light.

"The orbs," I called, jumping and smiling. "The orbs! Twenty-one, touch the trees around you. These little orbs of light should glow."

Ahead of me, I saw a faint flicker of pink. Relieved she wasn't too pigheaded to dismiss my advice, I quickened my pace. My hand stayed outstretched at my side, hitting each tree as I passed.

The added light only seemed to irradiate the creepiness of the forest. Shadows jolted, disappearing and reappearing somewhere else. Plants crawled along the grass, pulling back before our feet could trample them. Mossy vines slithered across tree trunks like snakes. Leaves trembled despite the still air.