MY DRAGON - Book Two of The Celestial Series

Little Jaime opened his eyes when he felt a light touch on his head. 

The young woman's face looming over his was so beautiful that he wasn't afraid.

"Are you a ghost?"  He stared at her sad eyes and pale face.

She shook her head while pulling his blanket up, fully covering his bare chest in the cold winter night.

"Are you an angel?" Shyly, Jaime took a strand of her platinum gray hair in his fingers.  It was so long that it covered her shoulders and chest.

It wasn't a dream.

Her plump lips formed a no.

Jaime didn't believe her.  

She looked like a ghost and had appeared from nowhere and in the middle of the night.

But he could feel her gentle touch and that confused him a bit.

Still, he closed his eyes for a moment, enjoying the soft fingers gently stroking his face. 

He couldn't remember if he had ever felt such a sensation before. 

His parents never touched him and barely even looked at him.  The old lady that took care of him until he was sent to this monastery, had just been a practical, rough and very impatient caretaker. 

No one has ever shown him any tenderness... until now.

Jaime understood when her lips formed the words: Sleep, Jaime.

But there was no sound, again. 

The beautiful lady ghost touched the dark soft curls on his head and smiled so sweetly that he forgot all the years of loneliness and sadness. 

Her smile was full of love... for him. 

Jaime couldn't believe it, but his heart filled with a warm sensation that spread all the way to his toes.  

Something inside him stirred and purred in response to her smile and he shuddered, hoping that she wouldn't notice it.

One lonely tear rolled down the Lady ghost's face and Jaime reached for it, taking it in his forefinger.

He stared at the teardrop balancing on the tip of his finger. 

Yes.. It was real.

"Don't cry, Lady..."  He placed his finger with the one tear on his lips and tasted it.

Sweet and salty.

The beautiful ghost shook her head to assure him that she wouldn't cry anymore and Jaime smiled.

She kissed his forehead and he noticed that her hair was changing color, becoming red along with her eyes and her lips. 

Jaime sensed that something was wrong and quickly grabbed her hand.  "What is your name?"

But the ghost pushed away and stood up, pacing back to the dark corner of the room.

"Where are you going?"  Jaime sat up, already missing her soft touch.

Another tear rolled down her stunning face as she was engulfed by a sudden warm and gentle burst of fire, fading away into the darkness.

Little Jaime stared at the dark corner, mouth agape. "Come back, angel! Don't leave me!" 

But she was gone. 

Feeling the dark emptiness lurking inside, yet again, little Jaime curled up under the blanket and closed his eyes. 

Her touch... 

Her sweet eyes and smile. 

She loved him... 

Someone finally loved him. 

And he instinctively knew that she would come back.

Jaime smiled because he wasn't alone in this world, anymore.