40

the air was dewy, and fresh, and it made minho all the more aware of how cold it actually was, even though it was nearly evening, and the heat should've came out by now.

he could feel the warmth building up on his cheeks as he pressed his hands firmly into the pockets of his long coat, his boots stepping across the snow covered pathways through town.

despite the freezing atmosphere, the sun was still present -- but barely so -- brightening up the sky in a dark peachy hue before finally disappearing into the horizon. bright purples and indigo blues swirled within the cloudless skies in a mess of vibrant shades, but minho couldn't for the life of him appreciate the magnificent view. no, he had somewhere to be right now.

he continued to walk, using the dimly flickering street lamps as a guide as he muttered apologies here and there when he bumped into strangers that loitered around the area from time to time.

leaning against an office building that had already closed for the night, he took out his phone, eyes surveying through the latest text messages between him and jisung.

minho: you're sure you're still coming, right?
sent 11:17 pm yesterday

jisung: yeah, i am
sent 11:18 pm yesterday

jisung: you'll get to see me
sent 11:20 pm yesterday

minho exhaled an almost tired breath, shoving his phone back into his coat pocket. he couldn't deny that he was looking forward to meeting jisung in person, and he didn't entirely know why.

he couldn't get the perceived image of how jisung might've looked out of his head. black, maybe brown hair? kind of short? wide, happy smile?

minho didn't know why he was suddenly allocating all these features to jisung, but weirdly somehow, they fit.

he continued to walk, his steps speeding up into a light jog by now. the cool wind brushed against his dark hair and tickled his blushing skin. he couldn't control how hard his heart was beating.

for so long, minho'd envisioned how his and jisung's meetup was going to go, and now that he was actually going to see the guy in real life for the first time, he felt a little bit more excited.

minho felt like he was going a little bit crazy when the first glimpse of a smile formed on his lips. it started to grow on his face, and he walked even faster along the roads.

he and jisung were set to meet up at a somewhat secluded spot. it was the bridge close to this foreign cafe that sold really nice baked goods, and the view the bridge gave of the sea was nothing short of gorgeous.

the yellow light from the streetlamps fell over the calm waves of the sea, giving it an appearance of molten honey, and the moon was on its way out as well.

minho's heart thumped quickly against his ribcage as he neared the bridge, not minding the way the breeze beat against his skin and slightly ruffled up the ink black strands of his hair.

his hurried footsteps decreased into a tense, cautious stroll the second he was within a meter distance from the bridge.

minho's heart raced even quicker when his eyes came across a figure that was perched on the bridge, arms folded over the railing and eyes admiring the holographic waves of the sea.

"j-jisung...?" minho whispered. before he knew it, his feet moved on their own accord, bringing him closer and closer to the unidentified male.

minho couldn't control himself. his heart felt like it was about to burst right through his chest when he placed a hand on the man's shoulder, causing the male to look up. he cleared his throat, eyes going wide when the other male met his gaze.

"a-are you jisu -- " minho froze, cutting himself off as his blood turned to ice.

a bearded, haggard looking man stared right back at him, his hooded eyes swimming with apparent confusion, and a little bit of agitation as well. his gaze sharpened as minho took rigid steps back, his lips turning into a frown.

"excuse me, sir? how can i help you?" the man asked, his hoarse, croaky voice a complete contrast with how jisung's voice sounded over the phone. minho couldn't believe it.

minho was speechless, and his head pounded once more, salty tears stinging his eyes. a wave of nausea, anxiety and a million other unbearable emotions punctured him at once, and his hands started to shake.

jisung had lied.

"sir, are you...okay?" the man's gaze had softened now, but minho wasn't paying attention.

his mind buzzed with numerous, incongruent thoughts, and his heart felt like it was being suffocated. he felt like he was being suffocated.

minhi didn't know why he'd kept his hopes up, didn't know why he actually believed that jisung would show up. they'd agreed upon a specific time, and yet, jisung wasn't even there.

he'd trusted jisung, and yet jisung had betrayed him.

he knew his anger was justified, but he didn't know why his emotions were so incorrigible, so raw. he didn't know why he'd become so sad, why hot tears started running down his cheeks and why his palms were literally shaking so much.

the man before him drew closer, attempting to touch minho as he was particularly sympathetic to the trembling male before him, but minho sprung back at the action, almost staggering on his own two feet.

"leave me alone!" minho yelled, unable to think properly. his mind was a limitless maze filled with nothing but turbulent emotions and rash decisions, and he just couldn't make sense of it all. "stay away from me!"

before the old man could speak again, minho had turned on his heels, unable to see anything properly.

the cool nightly wind continued to beat down on him as he started to run, sobs leaving his lips. his vision had grown misty due to the build up of tears in his eyes.

jisung, you fucking liar! minho's mind screamed as he headed down the sidewalk, his mind too much of a mess to take a deep breath and wipe his own tears away.

harsh headlights flashed before minho's vision at that second, the loud screeching of tires drowned out by the destructive noises in minho's head. his feet suddenly gave way and he fell, a sleek wetness building up beneath his body. all the noises in his head abruptly faded out into tiny beeps, and soon enough darkness became the only thing he could see.

i'm sorry.

***

a/n: how's that for drama, huh?