Flaming Skies

~Nicole~

I run away from the scene, hiding in an alley. I take off my hoodie and scarf, inhaling deeply. I see the blur of a red-blue figure pass me. It's Spider-Man. He lands in front of the bank. A few moments later, the police arrive.

I quickly walk back to the apartment, trying to be calm and not get caught. What happened back there? Wait...Slow down, brain. Am I superhero?!

I open the door to the apartment, putting a hand on my chest. Don't have a panic attack now. I can feel my vision blur. Lex and Rose are watching The Lion King with the girls on the couch. They look up at me in worry. Dad must have been asleep.

"Sorry. I'm-" I stumble. Lex goes up to hug me. "Shh...it's okay, Nic. You're okay...it's alright." She whispers, petting my hair. The girls leave quietly, leaving us alone I smile and close my eyes.

"What happened, Nic? What's the matter?" Rose asks, her kind green eyes shining brightly. I shake my head. "If nothing's happened, then why were you panicking?" She looks at me.

"Fine. I really want to tell you, but I feel like you're going to think I'm crazy." I say. I feel swarmed by nervousness. Lex holds my hand. Instantly, I feel content. Her knowing grey eyes examine me. "Believe me, you are far from crazy."

I sigh and take a deep breath. "Okay. Please don't freak out." I say out loud. "I think I have superpowers." The girls don't say anything, but nod. "My eyes glow blue and these blue lights came out of my hands! And I flew out of nowhere..." I say. Lex smiles.

"You are not crazy. I should've told you sooner but I felt you would call me stupid and a lunatic. We're different from the rest, Nic." Lex explains.

"But why? Why are we different?" I say.

"We're gifted. We were born with these powers. I don't know why." Rose says.

"So...everyone one of us is going to get powers?" I ask.

Rose nods. " We're what people call mutants." I raise my eyebrow. "Like the X-Men if they were real?" They laugh and agree.

"So what are your powers?" I question both.

"Well, I can make people do what I want. I can make them feel what I want. I can make them see things. I can also alter memories." Lex says. "But I never do it for evil. Only for defense. It has its downsides."

"I can control electricity and create it." Rose adds. "So you're like Thor, except a human?" I gape. She laughs. "I guess so, except I don't have his hammer."

She holds her hand and blue electricity jumps out. I look in awe. "So...what about Zel? When will she get her power?" I ask curiously. Zel and I are twins and if I get my powers, then maybe Zel will get them too. "It depends...but it happens at 15 years old. It can occur on the day of your 15th birthday, or the day before your 16th birthday. At least, it did for our family." Lex says.

"Dad can't be a mutant...so Mom?" I ask.

"He didn't say she was. We just assumed she was a mutant." Rose explains.

"She was odd." Lex nods. "Very secretive. And her death was suspicious. Mom died in a car crash on a cliff." She says.

My mom would meet with these strange people in their den. We would have to stay upstairs. I shudder to think who these people were.

I remember the day before the crash. Mom gave me a sad smile and hugged me extra tight. Dad kissed me and gave me a ring.

I giggled. "We have to do some business, sweetie, but we'll always come back to you."