Wives ?

I had been curled up in the satin sheets for what felt like days as I lacked the motivation to move after the three kings left to fulfil their royal duties. I allowed my hands to caress the sheets beneath me as I imagined Caius' hair fleeting between my fingers in place of these empty sheets. I imagined the pillow I laid on was instead the firm chest of Marcus and I imagined my fingers that trailed routes across my porcelain skin were the cold yet comforting fingers of Aro. I sighed, not taking my eyes away from the view of the ceiling, or rather the canopy hiding me away from the exquisitely painted ceiling. My brows furrowed as I allowed my thumb to roll over my bottom lip, tugging slightly before my arm collapsed into the covers once again. I sat upright on the bed, the black lacy nightgown I wore draping across the sheets like dark waves crashing against a pebbled beach.

I knew I hadn't been told not to wander around the castle but I doubt the Kings would recommend it if they had been present. I felt my soft red lips curve into a smirk, pulling at my rosy cheeks causing a dimple to be revealed though there was no one to see it.

I stood at once, my bare feet hitting the floor which suddenly felt like blocks of ice against my lukewarm toes. A cold breeze fluttered through the room, tickling the back of my neck like the wings of a butterfly causing my to visibly shiver and goosebumps to dance across my skin. I smiled for a moment, expecting the scent of fresh air to come with the newfound breeze. My mouth was soon pulled into a tight line as no such scent occurred and no further breeze accompanied the first. I brought my hand to the back of my neck as the air suddenly began to feel thick and heavy. I wasn't alone.

It was aberrant for the mulieres maris to fear a presence before even having seen them as a woman of the sea, even on her own away from her school were formidably tough creatures not to be trifled with. Yet here I stood, sensing a presence that seemed to define fear all over again for me.

I took in a deep breath before spinning quickly to face the intruder only to see two women with long flowing hair and ruby red eyes. Their eyes however did not look as inviting as those of my mates or as respectful as those of the guards. They seemed harsh and their glares seemed directed towards me.

"Who are you?" I allowed myself to speak after an extended pause. I felt my mouth become dry as every time I swallowed the nonexistent saliva within my mouth it seemed to become more and more difficult to do so. They both chuckled as though I was a child asking its parents a question with an overtly obvious answer. They looked between each other with knowing glances before returning their harsh stares to me. They raised their heads higher than they already were as they stood straighter, holding themselves so formally that I suddenly felt rather small and insignificant. They were dressed in elegant dresses that seemed meticulous in every detail. I slowly pulled the red covers towards my face like a child whom believed their covers could protect them from any evil force that sought after them.

"We are Anthedora and Sulpicia, the wives of Aro and Caius. I see you're their little pet. I can assure you they will get bored of you and come running back to us. Just like they always have." The one with the darkest toned hair spoke, her words spoken in a soft, patronising tone making each word seem all the more sharp and pointed.

"That's not true, they would never do that to me." I spoke, my voice wavering slightly causing smirks to appear again upon their faces. I swallowed back my nerves once again as I tightened my grip upon the covers causing my knuckles to turn white.

"Well, if that is so then why did they not tell you of us? Or why did they not get rid of us from the castle walls? Dearie, we wish not to hurt you specifically, however we have lived many years with those three. Either we will hurt you, or they will." The second spoke, her voice just as soft and just as thoroughly laced with hidden venom and spite. I allowed my head to roll downwards as I traced the outlines of the creases within the red satin cover with my stormy eyes, shortly after feeling another breeze as the heaviness in the room disappeared almost instantly as the tears began to fall.