11

I ran to my car, ignoring the strange looks people threw at me. At this moment, nothing could bother me; nothing could distract me. 

Because I had the one thing that mattered most on my mind. 

You. 

I hadn't been an awful boyfriend to you. I had always done my best to be kind and considerate, stay understanding, regardless of the circumstances we were put in. 

But when it came to understanding you? 

I had failed.  

I had noticed what was happening. I wasn't a fool. 

I had wished  time and time again that you would tell me what was going on. 

But I had turned a blind eye to it for so long. I had waited for the words to come out of your mouth, instead of coaxing it out myself. Thinking back, I couldn't imagine how horrible it must've have made you feel. 

To be able to see that I could tell what was happening, but never truly asking you. 

To see the pain behind my eyes when you had to lie to me. 

To stand on a ground where you wanted to protect me and keep me safe, but couldn't  do it for yourself.

My hands dropped from the steering wheel that I had been gripping so hard. Remembering all of what I made you go through...  

Tears pooled in my eyes, and I tipped my head back. Now more than ever, I knew I had to get you back, and understand. I needed to start the conversation, start the process to help you. Make you feel like you didn't need to hide.  

My hands went to the steering wheel and ignition, ready to start the car and go to you. It couldn't wait anymore... it had been too long. 

Just as the engine roared to life, humming at a steady rhythm, ready to take me to you, my phone buzzed, your name flashing across the screen. 

Maybe. Just maybe you had felt the same.