Darkness is Blind

Prologue

"She took the child," yells a man from deep within the woods. Laura a woman in her mid 20s was hiding behind a tree panting. Her bright purple eyes shone brightly and her black hair fell long onto her back. Looking around the tree she held the bundle in her arms closer to her. In the bundle was an infant no older then a few days old. It's eyes were purple like Laura's and the bit of hair it had was a deep black.

"I think I see her! Over there!" Yells another man. Laura spots him and runs off with the infant. Making her way through the thick woods she tried to be quick. Coming to a halt at the edge of the woods she took a breath. The child moved a little making her jump. Looking at the baby she notices the small black tentacles that came from its back. A cursed child was what Laura saw.

She run out into the open lot outside of the woods and the child screamed in pure agony. Laura instantly pulled the blanket from the child inspecting it. There branded on the center of the infants chest was the operator symbol of a proxy. A symbol made up by a simple circle with an 'X' crossed through it. It's meaning full of horror and death.

"Found her!" Exclaims a woman within the woods. Laura covers the baby once more and runs through the city before her. Through allies and streets she tries losing the ones following her. Deep within an ally she stops and sits behind a trash can. Taking silent deep breaths she checks the child again. The brand will leave a scar that will be there forever. Sighing she reaches into her pocket and pulls out a small book. It is red with the proxie's symbol on the cover. A book of spells. She tosses the book up and it floats in front of her. Her eyes glow bright.

"Kratiste A-," she begins but is stopped by a blood chilling chuckle. She looks up to see what was ment to be something happy but went dark. A clown. His eyes were grey and hair a messy black pile. He wore striped sleeves and socks, patched pants, bandages on his waist, feathers to decorate his shoulders, and a swirled cone clown nose. All of which was monochrome black-and-white.

"My My My, well isn't it Laura my dear friend," he says and she flinched. Looking down at the child she holds it closer.

"What do you want Laughing Jack?" She asks and he smiles with glee. He looks at the child and with long claw pulls the blanket from its face.

"I see that you had taken the child from him, what do you plan to do with it? You can't run forever," he comments and she looks up at Laughing Jack. Her eyes glow brighter and the pages in the book flip quickly.

"Can I ask you a favor? I promise I will pay you back one day," she says and he tilted his head to the side.

"Sure," he says and Laura smiles. A single tear falls from her eye and down her cheek.

"Take my child and hide her, guide her to a natural life, try and keep her from this sickening darkness. I beg you," she whispers and looks down at the child.

"You will die you know that right? But yes, I will take care of her for you," He says and Laura stands handing him the child. He holds it gently and smirks. Laura places a hand on the infants forehead and it nuzzles it. She wimpers and grabs her book flipping to in old page.

"Whatever shall happen to me, I want her safe," she says coldly. Her eyes glow once more as she takes a deep breath. "Kratiste Aigis," she mumbled and the baby falls asleep. It's tentacles are gone and skin is a soft color. Now the baby looks human. "Her true self will not awaken until she meets a lovers lips," Laura says.

"Clever," says Laughing Jack. Laura nods and begins walking out of the ally.

"Keep her safe," Laura says before Laughing Jack vanishes with the child in arms. "Come for me my love! The child is gone! You won't have her in your grasp," she yells out. Static filled her ears and a 10 foot tall man stands in front of her. "Tobira," she says softly and the book vanishes along with the necklace she wore. The faceless man before her cringed and held its side. Laura began to laugh. Within seconds long black tentacles wrapped around the small woman. She was lifted into the air and brought up to the monsters face.

"I love you," was the last thing she had said before being ripped apart by the man. The child was gone and never seen again.