chapter five

"i can't do it, twilight! they have the bell. we're all doomed!" starlight cried and sunburst held her.

"we're not doomed." celestia said.

"discord reformed. you reformed. the changelings reformed. trixie did too. maybe they can reform." twilight said.

"maybe..." starlight sighed.

"go." cadence said. "we'll be protecting equestria in your absence."

starlight nodded and the five—starlight, maud, trixie, discord, and sunburst—exited the castle.

"there's only a matter of time before equestria falls in their hooves." luna said.

twilight walked towards the map. "i think we should start traveling. there are four of us. we can cover more ground-"

"no. twilight. you need to stay here. you need to warn your subjects. make sure your students and friends come home safe." celestia said.

twilight nodded as the other three princesses exited the castle.

cadence ran through the crystal empire to get to the castle where her husband and child was. "shining armor!"

"cadence?" shining armor questioned, looking out from the balcony. he grabbed flurry heart and met cadence at the bottom of the castle. "what's going on."

"warn the crystal ponies to stay inside. send twilight some guards. cast your protection spell. anything that will help save the empire. chrysalis is back. and she has help from tirek and cozy glow."

"help? don't villains usually work alone."

"trust me when i say. they might hurt all of us." cadence said. "be safe." she kissed his muzzle and flurry heart's head.

"no. you be safe. i love you, cadence." shining armor said.

"i love you, too."

"citizens!" luna yelled in her royal canterlot voice.

all of the ponies of starlight's village turned their heads to her in confusion.

"i hate to say, but tirek has returned. and with the help of queen chrysalis and cozy glow by his side. it's not long before they turn your town into a living nightmare." luna said. "stay somewhere safe."

as twilight walked out of her castle doors, she was tackled to the ground by who knows who.

"where's pinkie pie." one of them asked.

"where's rainbow dash." the other one asked.

"um. i don't know. but who are you two?"

they got off of her and she opened her eyes and saw cheese sandwich and soarin.

"cheese, soarin. hi. and i don't know where they went. they were kidnapped(ponynapped?)."

"someone took my rainbow dash?" soarin asked.

twilight nodded. "can you two help me get every-pony indoors?"

the two nodded and ran off into ponyville.

twilight ran to the town hall and announced, "every pony! please. listen to me. danger is headed our way. stay indoors and please do not come outside!"

"you can run. but you can't hide." chrysalis cackled.

"chrysalis!" twilight looked around. "show yourself!"

she cackled again, along with tirek and cozy glow.

"do you think we would be so foolish to reveal where we are?" cozy glow said.

"let's just say that we're in the last place you would ever look." tirek said.

cheese looked at twilight. "what is that supposed to mean?"

"i don-"

"twily!" somepony tackled her.

"bah!" twilight looking up at the pony and smiled. "shining armor!"

"i brought you some guards. i figured you need to protect your students and subjects." shining said.

"thank you."

"i have to get back to the crystal empire. ponyville rests in your hooves," he said and ran off.

"cozy glow. the bell." chrysalis said and cozy glow handed her the bell.

"what exactly does this thing do?" tirek asked.

chrysalis put it on starlight's table. "if i zap it with my magic i can ruin everything around us. magic. love. anything." she looked up at tirek. "once starlight gets here. she won't stand a chance."

"maybe that would be a bad ide-" a tied up vivian started.

"quiet!" chrysalis yelled.

vivian stayed quiet and looked over at alane and lia.

chrysalis turned around and looked at the bell, then picked it up. "let's go." she said walking out of the doors with tirek and cozy glow following her.

the three of them were walking down the hall, heading to the throne room, when cozy glow asked, "whatever made you guys become evil?"

tirek sighed. "my brother and i were always planning on it. but he betrayed me."

"my siblings." chrysalis said. "the holes came from them. they would always gang up on me with their little posse. i wanted revenge. and that's what i got." she opened the door to the throne room. "i didn't think it would be that fun. i thought wrong."

"what about the reformed changeling?" cozy glow asked.

chrysalis sat on starlight's throne and turned to her. "their just copies of me with different names. they don't mean anything." she sat the bell down beside her. "what about you, little filly."

"my parents abandoned me when i was young. left me on a porch. i've tried looking for them, but i gave up. they found me and i yelled at them." cozy said, looking down. "i could've had a family."

tirek looked at chrysalis and then at cozy glow. "you do."

"she does?" chrysalis asked.

"i do?" cozy asked at the same time chrysalis did.

"right here." tirek said.

"oh." cozy glow said.

"what?" chrysalis asked.

"it's just that. we don't feel like a family-"

cozy glow was cut off by the door opening.

"we-" chrysalis looked up to see king sombra standing at the door. "sombra?"

"chrysalis."

"why are you here? didn't you die."

he laughed. "please. i faked my death. i hid out to seek revenge."

"good job. just one problem. we don't have to hide. you do... and your gonna wish you stayed dead." chrysalis said.