One

(Post SQUIP)

Michael's POV

I tug my favorite burgundy hoodie on, the soft lining of the sleeves settling gently on the slight burns I suffered from that terrible Halloween party. Dark jeans, high tops, and my headphones placed haphazardly around my neck complete the look. Jeremy was released from the hospital yesterday, and it's his first day back at school since the play. He texted me last night saying he had a big plan. I'm hoping for a heartwarming apology letter, a declaration of love, and maybe some airpods. At the very least, a slushie from 7-Eleven. After all, I saved his sorry ass after he was brainwashed by the SQUIP, and zombified half the school. Not to mention he left me sobbing in a bathroom. In a house. That was on fire.

No hard feelings though.

"Michael! Brooke's here! Get going!" My mom yells up the stairs.

"Coming!" I grab my phone off the nightstand, my backpack from the foot of my bed, and hurry down the stairs. Giving a quick peck on the cheek to both of my moms, I'm out the door.

"Took you long enough Mell." Chloe hands me a hot chocolate and a muffin the second I'm safely in the car.

"Chill out Valentine. I'm here now aren't I. Hey! Where's the whipped cream on this thing?" Brooke blushes.

"Sorry Micah. It just looked so foamy and delicious." I roll my eyes, even though this is nothing new. Despite being lactose intolerant, Brooke lives for the stuff.

"It's fine luv. Now come on, we're going to be late." Ever since I (single handedly) defeated the SQUIP's, Jere and I have willingly been accepted into our own little squad of people. I used to think the only friend in high school I would have, or need, was Jeremy. But now I have a whole group of people who care about me. And it's pretty amazing. And I love having my best friend back. Not that I wouldn't mind being more than best friends. I've been hopelessly in love with Jeremy Heere since 7th grade. Not being his favorite person for a while was the worst thing to ever happen to me, and I don't plan on losing him ever again. And maybe, just maybe, since he's unsquipped, he'll realize he loves me too. And that's what his big plan is. A promposal! I grin to myself.

"Stop smiling like a weirdo Mell, and turn on some music." The girls and I jam out to the Jonas Brothers the rest of the way to school. Today is going to be a good day, I can just feel it.