Nine

Rich's POV

My release from the hospital is quick and painless. A few hours after I wake up I'm out the doors and in Brooke's car. She told me she didn't want me at home with my dad until she had decided I was properly healed. And I don't think she meant physically. I've been lying on Brooke's couch, head in her lap as she gently strokes my hair for hours. I stopped crying a while ago, but when Brooke pulled up Netflix and To All the Boys I've Loves Before was first on her watchlist I lost it again, choking on my own sobs.

"Shh baby it's okay." Brooke snuggles closer. "I've got you. And we can forget all about Michael okay. You have the whole weekend to cry."

"Thankth Brooke." I sniffle into her sweater. She pats my head lazily.

"Anything for you Richie. Chloe is coming over tomorrow so we can prom dress shop? Are you up to come with?"

"I gueth that might be fun." Brooke squeals.

"Oh goodie! Then I'm formally asking you Rich to be my date to prom. As friends of course!" Her eyes are like that of a puppies it's hard to say no to the blonde haired sweetheart.

"Then I formally accept." Brooke hugs me even tighter like she can protect me from my heartbreak. But even her thin arms eneveloping me with the scent of flowers and frozen yogurt can't make Michael love me back.

Nothing can.

Michael's POV

I'm at Jeremy's house and have been since Friday. My moms let me spend the whole weekend there, playing video games, and lying sullenly on the floor trying not to cry.

"You have to go to school Michael."

"I might see him."

"So what. You're not the one who got rejected it's worse for him." The pit in my stomach deepens.

"I'm a terrible person Jere!"

"No you're not Micah." Jeremy crouches down next to me, meeting my eyes. "And you are going to get off the floor right now and go to school because you're obviously in love with Rich- no don't interrupt me- and as I see it you have two options: get over him, or date him. It's not my place to decide but you saved me this fall so I'm gonna save you. So get up." I'm so shocked by Jeremy's outburst I quickly drag myself off the floor and salute.

"Yes sir!" Jeremy grins.

"Go to school dummy."

"Yes furry." He punches me in the arm and we both head out for school.

I'm acting like everything's normal but for once in his life, Jeremy's right.

I am in love with Rich. But I can't be.

He doesn't need a fragile boyfriend when he's so close to breaking himself.

I love Rich.

But for his own good I have to get over him.