Six

Rich's POV

I'm watching the clock obsessively. The nurses actually start teasing me about it. By the time the clock hits 2:15 (When school lets out) I'm sweating a little bit. I've gotten myself so worked up when Michael actually shows up, I'm passed out cold, snoring gently.

"Richie. Rich. Wake upppppp." I startle awake, reaching out blindly in a panic.

"I'm thorry! Don't hurt me!"

'Woah Richie. Calm down. Shhh shhh it's okay." My heartbeat falls to a normal rhythm. (Well, as normal as it ever is around Michael)

"Thorry Micah. I didn't want you to thee that. Ever. Thomtimes I can thill hear.... It."

"It's okay Rich. I'm here now." His body presses into mine ever so slightly. "Brooke gave me more novels to give to you!" I brighten as he hands the books over.

"Tell her thankth!"

"I will." Silence. But not uncomfortable silence. Just getting used to being in each others company again.

"Okay well. Today I thought we could work on a breakup playlith together." I was up all night coming up with that idea.

"Jeremy and I didn't break up Rich. We weren't ever dating."

"Yeah I know. But it might be eathier if you treated it like a breakup. Ith thupid thorry." I fiddle with my hands incessantly.

"No no!" Michael rushes to console me. "It's a great idea." I beam, tooth gap glaring. Michael smiles back. It's gorgeous. His eyes crinkle up and he's so soft and sweet I-

I'm interrupted from my musings by the opening bars of Dua Lipas "New Rules" I stick my tongue out at Michael.

"Never knew you were a thucker for pop muthic Mell."

"There's a lot you don't know about me."
"For now."

His eyes boring into mine are going to be the death of me.

Michael's POV

Rich and I spend hours scrolling through different songs on my phone, making sure to listen to each one all the way through to make sure it's "breakupy enough" (Rich's words not mine)

If anyone else had suggested this I would've thought it was the dumbest thing ever. But something about the way Rich tentatively tells me every step in his "master plan" like he's afraid one wrong word and I'll run screaming out the door makes me want to stick around. It's something about being with him I still don't understand.

The playlist thing was actually a really good idea. After saying my goodbyes to Rich, and driving home, I blast the playlist on shuffle through my headphones with a joint dangling between my fingers. My mind barely drifts to Jeremy.

Crazy as it is Rich's plan just might actually be working.

When you try your best but you don't succeed

When you get what you want but not what you need

When you feel so tired but you can't sleep

Stuck in reverse

When the tears come streaming down your face

'Cause you lose something you can't replace

When you love someone but it goes to waste

What could it be worse?

Lights will guide you home

And ignite your bones

And I will try to fix you

But high up above or down below

When you are too in love to let it show

Oh but if you never try you'll never know

Just what you're worth

Lights will guide you home

And ignite your bones

And I will try to fix you

Tears come streaming down your face

When you lose something you cannot replace

oh and tears come streaming down your face

And I

Tears streaming down your face

I promise you I will learn from all my mistakes

oh and the tears streaming down your face

And I

Lights will guide you home

And ignite your bones

And I will try to fix you

As the lyrics wash over me like a gentle rain I'm not thinking of Jeremy at all.

All I can think of is Rich.

A/N Im going out to dinner and stuff soooo enjoy :)