Chapter 9 - Iden

Iden was thinking about his Grandmother, when he saw the note. It seemed to be a star in the sky, slowly descending down, as a feather on the wind. It made no sound as it landed on the snow. Is that you, Grandmother? a beautiful star amidst a cold night? Iden stayed frozen, leaning against the cave wall; the darkness was swallowing him whole. Do what you must, darkness, for I shall not be remembered, if you take me.

I shall remember you, my love. He heard Rowan's voice echo around him. He immediately swallowed back the love and anger.

His eyes were red and raw. I ought not rub them as much, he always said as he wiped away the tears. The snowflakes made them itch and water, as if they were attempting to conceal his grief, but it did not. There was snow everywhere, even in the cave. Sometimes, little puffs of it filled the air every time he moved a mere inch. 

Iden could not say how long it had been since he'd last slept, but scarce an inch remained of his loose rags he had clad himself in, after his Grandmother's departure; he had allowed the wind to take them. Take them all, I no longer care. He had not eaten since that bowl of bird-and-bean soup with Rowan, the last time he had visited Wiverlynn. I will have to seek out Rowan and inform her about... Iden could not think about his Grandmother, without the tears bellowing out. If truth be told, Iden had expected the tears to come earlier, but for a time, they were a frozen waterfall. Why did I allow her to go? Why... Iden constantly asked himself. 

The reason unknown to him, Iden's eyes seemed to divert back to the note. Its delicate corners had begun to crumple and curl. He was unable to take his eyes away from it. He could hear it call him. Unable to control himself, Iden crawled over to the note and pulled it from the snow. Ever so gently, he opened it to reveal a scribbled handwriting. Iden read it aloud, "Seek out the Hidden Domain, and you shall get your vengeance." Iden gasped, ever so faintly.

What could it mean? Could this be true? Nervously, he rubbed his wrists. The ice had started to bite into his flesh, and it hurt. It reminded him of the time, when he chopped away at the some poisonous flowers, to protect Rowan from hurting herself. However, the fact that they were poisonous was oblivious to Iden, and for the next two months, he spent every day and night howling in pain.  

Seek out the Hidden Domain, and you shall get your vengeance. 

The Hidden Domain? What was this place? Iden had never heard of it. Perhaps it was a small congregation of assassins of some sort? If so, Iden was no use to them. He had never learnt how to fight, despite always keeping his father's sword at his side. You shall get your vengeance. How did they know that I wish to get vengeance? Iden, did, nontheless. He desired to torture the Brothers and Sisters of Ice. All of them. Iden had planned to go to Rowan and plead her uncle to aid him. However, the Brothers and Sisters of Ice were a myth to them. They were to everyone; not Iden or his grandmother. How can I make them know that they are not a myth? I wonder...

Iden had prayed so hard. His plan was to be taken by the Brothers and Sisters of Ice, and slaughter them all. Afterwards, he would sought out his Grandmother. I will dream a beautiful dream, about you and Rowan, she had told him.

With rage, he thumped his fist against the cave wall. He looked again at the scribbled note. Who could have written this? The note was unsigned, unsealed and the hand unfamiliar. Perhaps this was a trick. It would not be surpising if it was written by one of Rowan's maids; they always enjoyed playing pranks on him and Rowan. Or could it be one of the great knights? Perhaps, Maverick Halayne? No, no, he was probably off in the fields somewhere, annihilating foes in a tourney. Thank the Gods that Alderan was no longer alive. A bastard, he was. During the day, he was allegedly the greatest knight of all Asneth, however, Iden blieved that this was false. During the night, he was Zyola's lover. He claimed that he loved Zyola with all his heart, but I knew the truth, Iden thought. He was gone now. The reason of how he died was unknown, but Iden was merely thankful of him being dead.