First Ecounters

Shani Anderson
June 7, 1991

"It's your 21st birthday, you can't sit home. We have to celebrate at the club tonight." Sam said to me as we took our usual jog in the park.

"No offense Sam but the clubs you like to attend be having some weird activities going on. You already know my dad would not approve and neither would–"

"Boring ass Preston, yes I know. I don't see why you're basically in an arranged relationship. You don't even love Preston and you damn sure don't really like your dad."

"He's still my father and after my mom passing, he's all I got Sammy, please I'm trying to make things work and you can grow to love someone."

"Yeah if you guys established a relationship. You're engaged to a person you don't even know. Like seriously Shani, that shit is weird. Why is your dad so involved?"

"He just cares and wants to make sure I'm good."

"Or he wants that money that your mother put in your name. You know she had you as her beneficiary and your father was treating your mom like pure trash. Who's to say he's not gonna try to kill you like he did your–"

"Samantha please... just stop please. She had a brain aneurysm. That's the story and that's it. It's only been 6 months don't make me have to relive it." I said stopping in the middle of our jog. I love Sam she's my best friend.

We've been close since I used to date her brother during high school and part of college until he passed away

We've been close since I used to date her brother during high school and part of college until he passed away. Fortunately we're still close so I have a reminder of him.

I'm Shani Anderson, a third year student at Princeton double majoring in Cognitive Science and Sociology with a minor is African American Studies. My mother was African American and my sperm donor is Caucasian. My parents separated when I was 10 and it's just been weird ever since. My dad not only cheated on my mom but was very abusive and it got to the point of my mom almost dying for her to leave. After he "got himself together with rehab and therapy" she fell into the cycle and took him back. Countless times I asked her why didn't she just leave and she could never give a valid reason, almost as if she was stuck. She passed away six months ago and it's been tough losing her and Ermias in the same time span. Now I'm forced to be with a guy I don't even know or love so my father can get good business with Preston's family.

"My bad Shani, I just really care about you. You're all I have besides Sam skinny ass."

I chuckled and we started jogging again. During our jog I caught eyes with the same guy I see every morning.