Chapter Twenty - Garrett's POV

The entire house was bursting with an in-suppressible cheerfulness. Happy chattering guests were scattered throughout a good portion of the house, drinking to their heart's content as they laughed at whatever jokes their friends had made. The musicians were playing in the ballroom, watching with silent amusement as couples danced and enjoyed their efforts to please them with appropriate dancing music. All in all, everyone seemed to be having the time of their lives.

Everyone except me that was. While I was doing almost exactly the same things as they, there was a different purpose behind each. I forced myself to speak with people to distract my train of thought. I indulged in the wine in hopes that it might raise my spirits a bit. The ball itself, as well as everything else, was intended as a distraction for me.

I felt as if I was nothing but a hollow shell of a man, emptied of every emotion and every ounce of care in the world. It had been approximately a day or two since Elizabeth was supposedly married. Despite not knowing the details of where and when it had taken place, I knew in my heart that she was gone. A part of me wished that she had told me where she would be living and who she was marrying, but when I thought about it, I realized that it might have been for my own best interest that I did not. I may have done one thing I should not have, but I knew better than to force a woman to be unfaithful to her husband, even if she might wish to do so.

My uncle had encouraged me to invite Miss Richards, claiming that I should not give up on courting myself a bride despite all that had happened. I had encountered her and her parents on more than one occasion, providing me with the chance to get to know Lucille better. Unlike the Stanford's, there was no hatred between me and her parents. They seemed to be genuinely fond of me, and I could not say that I disliked them in any way. Naturally, they were a bit concerned with propriety, but their concern for such things was very moderate in comparison to some who shall not be named. They did not cling tightly to the rules.

Mr. Richards had some connections in the music industry, particularly in London. When I first told him that I had sold a few of my compositions and, at his request, informed him of their respective names, I was surprised to learn that he had been one of the ones who purchased a couple of them. I explained to him that I had got a friend to sell them for me, in hopes of remaining anonymous at the time. He claimed that he was thoroughly impressed with my work and that I had the affinity to become a great composer. The conversation continued from there.

"Meeting you at that park must have been a God-send! I have been searching for the composer of this music for a few years now. A friend of mine in London, who happens to be a composer himself, was most interested in it, and tried to learn anything he could about you, but was unable to find even a name," Mr. Richards explained.

I had not known that people had been so fond of my music. Yes, a few people I knew personally did tell me how much they enjoyed my work, but they had never inquired as to whether I intended to continue in that line. That was a part of the reason why I left London to begin with. I did not see any future for me there at the time. However, it sounded as if there had always been interest and I just never noticed because I remained unknown.

"It surprises me to hear that people were inquiring after me. Especially since those were only the first compositions I had ever sold."

"With a talent like yours, it is a surprise that you have not yet become famous. I see the makings of a great musician and composer in you," he complimented me. "If you are alright with it, I would be more than willing to send word to my friend with news of the discovery. He once told me that if he ever found the composer, he would help to make a name for him."

Of course it was alright with me. This was the opportunity I had been hoping for my entire life. I had expected that I would have to work at it myself for many years before even starting to make a name for myself, but now this man was offering to give me the chance to shorten that length of work. This news managed to lift my spirits a bit. Which was certainly more than the wine was doing. Oddly enough, it just seemed to make me feel even more pathetic and useless at the moment. I had been feeling lousy enough as it was.