Chapter 1- Losing the first pen

"The wind blew.

Her hair flew.

The leaves murmured.

Their whispers, I heard."

I jotted down these lines on a notepad I held in my hand. My eyes though, were entirely fixed on a face that could make any sane man's heart race; perhaps even those of insane ones like me. 

I dropped my Parker (Okay, I'm just some delusional fellow dreaming of inserting a Parker into my chest pocket) and forgot to pick it up. So, there goes another pen. 

But what damned fool would whine about losing a pen when he's found a girl to be the object of his desire, (sounds to lusty) the apple of his eyes?

I stared at the girl in open-mouthed awe. But when she turned towards me, I was quick enough to put my jaws together and pretend that I saw nothing special. 

***

Okay. Enough of that flashback. That day was September 26, 2009. My 13th Birhday! Goodbye Childhood. Hello, First Love. 

My world revolved around that girl in two-and-a-half years. It didn't turn out quite well. She dumped me. (Classic.) I didn't have any clue what to do. So clueless me got into unimaginable heartbreak. 

Got over the feeling already. But even now, there is still a bucketful of ifs and buts still in my mind- what if she gave me a chance? But she wouldn't. She didn't. What if I gave up too soon? What if the right girl comes and I've exhausted all my love on the wrong girl? But....

Life goes on. It has to. Sure I've thought of ending my own existence for a few times already, due to a number of reasons, but  I love my neck too much to have it strangled. 

True, from time to time, it still pinches my heart a bit to think of the time I've spent on getting myself rejected. True, I still cling on to the belief that I did everything at my disposal to secure the girl for my keeping. 

Yet, the biggest of all truths is that I failed miserably, in convincing the girl that I was right for her. 

So, I had to heed that old wise crack: "Better luck next time."