Chapter 10/Epilogue

1st person view

(y/n)

After I was released from the mind controlling ability and reunited with my brother, I tried to live as normally as possible. It was difficult, especially at first. To think that I missed four years of my life was weird, and every time I remembered the people I killed I would break down.

I struggled a lot with the idea that I was a murderer. Technically it was never my choice, but that didn't change the fact that I killed a lot of people. This made me feel like a very bad person and I often tended to think I should just stop existing. Thankfully my brother and Atsushi helped me through that.

Being back around Dazai felt amazing. Even when he was in the Mafia we were very close and he was very protective of me. That hadn't changed a bit, and I really appreciated it. I loved my big brother to the moon and back and there was nothing I wouldn't do for him. Having him near me again just felt... right.

Atsushi didn't play a small role in my life either. He was very interested in getting to know the real me and insisted I kept living with him. I happily obliged, since I liked and cared about the man-tiger very much. Because of him I managed to break the mind control a tiny bit, making it possible for me to think and speak. Without Atsushi I would still be like a doll, aimlessly walking around and following orders.

Atsushi always made it very clear that he was willing to help me and wanted to stay by my side, while still being extremely polite, thoughtful and kind. When he finally offered to take me out to get crepes I was overjoyed and immediately accepted.

"Ah, there they are!", Atsushi said as he pointed at a crepe stand. "Let's go order something!"

I nodded and followed the white-haired male. I didn't actually know that much about him other than his name and ability. Oh, and that his favorite food was chazuke. That was even clear to me when I was still a mindless doll. Just looking at his heterochromic eyes or uneven hair made me smile.

When Atsushi ordered the crepes I saw him nervously staring into his wallet. He pulled the money out with a rueful smile.

"I'll pay next time", I offered.

"N-next time?", Atsushi asked in a surprised tone, a slight blush spreading across his cheeks.

I shot him a closed eyes smile as I nodded.

Atsushi rubbed the back of his neck and accepted the crepes from the man who made them.

"Lets sit down over there", he said as he nodded to a bench under a tree.

I nodded and walked with him. After we sat down Atsushi gave me one of the crepes and we both started eating.

"Whoa, these are great!", I beamed. "I haven't had crepes in forever."

Atsushi chuckled softly at my reaction and kept eating. I finished a little before he did and brushed a strand of hair behind my ear as I looked around.

"Atsushi-san?", I began.

He hummed in response.

"I actually don't know that much about you, so can I ask you some questions?", I asked.

"Yeah, of course", Atsushi quickly replied.

"Hm, all right then", I mumbled. "Let's begin with something easy. How old are you?"

"Eighteen", he answered.

"And when's your birthday?", I asked.

"May 5."

I hummed in response before continuing.

"What's your favorite animal?", I asked.

"Cats or chameleons, I can't decide", Atsushi answered.