Ch. 8: Check Swing (Huey)

Jordan Klinger. Jordan Klinger. Where had I heard that name before? It was like hearing that name was hitting me for no apparent reason. I was looking in the midst of this girl who was an inch or two taller than me (I was 6'1) with blonde hair and an amazing body. We had just met after Stacia had introduced ourselves. I was awestruck by her presence. I then saw her lips move as if she was talking to me.

"Hey!" Jordan said. "Are you ok?"

Nothing. I was still amazed at her. She then tried waving at me, but my mind wasn't registering.

Then suddenly... SMACK!

I felt that. Jimmy was the one that brought me back to reality.

"Hey stone henge," he said. "You ok? Looked like you saw a ghost or something."

"Yeah I'm fine," I said. "I'm sorry. I just didn't think of seeing a pretty girl that was... taller than me."

Oh crap. What did I just say? I thought I was done for after that. But to my surprise, Jordan was chuckling. She was chuckling. Not only that, I could see a little bit a red on her face as if she was blushing.

"Already, you are a dweeb," she said to me. "But I'll take it as a compliment."

"I can take other things as a compliment," Wilma said before smoking again.

"So Jordan, softball player, huh?" I asked switching the conversation.

"Yes, it's crazy, believe it or not. I might look like a basketball player to some. But being 6'2, I might have the edge in intimidating my hitters."

"I like a girl that intimidates my hitters," Jimmy butted in.

Stacia punched him in the arm.

"Oww!" Jimmy said. "What was that for?"

"I think we should leave these two to get acquainted," Stacia responded. "Come on y'all. Let's go outside to the pool."

"I think that's a bad idea," Wade interjected. "It's already a health hazard."

"Dumb drunks!" Wilma said in disgust.

"How about we go into the kitchen and meet other people then?" Stacia suggested.

It was agreed and Stacia took the three others upstairs to the kitchen, which left me and Jordan down in the basement. The music down there wasn't as loud as the floor above us. So it was easy to chat. The couch was not being used as Jordan and I took a seat.

"So Jordan, where are you from?" I asked.

"California," Jordan replied.

"What brought you to Texas?"

"I just wanted to get out of California. Some rules down there are nice while others are pretty shitty if you know what I mean."

"Tough being a liberal in that state. Try being a conservative."

"Oh, I'm not political. I just hate how crazy people can get. It's like it's common for democrats to want to talk about equality and such and yet, they bash republicans as if their the little crumbs that need dealing with. Likewise for the other side as well. When will this country get along?"

"I think the odds of that happening are worse than you getting a degree here."

"So you think I'm not intelligent?"

"I didn't say you were dumb."

"But you said the odds were worse than me getting a degree at Texas."

"That's a better chance for you though."

"You don't think we can get along and I can get a degree at the same time?"