Analyzing Poetry

English 10-1: Analyzing poetry

All year

Sophomore year, 2016

In Walt Whitman's poem Oh Captain, My Captain, a tale of Civil revolution and sorrowful death is efficiently unravelled through the many allusions Whitman scatters throughout this elegy. Because the American Civil war was the central event of Whitman's life, he is able to portray the raw misery that affected so many Americans in the death of their beloved "Captain".

The title of this historic poem kick-starts a tale of deep adoration for Mr.Lincoln, as Whitman uses the intimate statement of "My Captain" rather than "Our Captain". This serves as a figure of speech to describe the obeisance of Mr.Lincoln's devotees; including Whitman who was 42 when the war began. The phrase: "Oh Captain! My Captain!" is an excellent rhetorical device that is constantly delivered throughout this literary text to set an atmosphere of awe for the life and times of 'The Captain' and the despair that arrives with his death, because the constant exclamation causes the reader to realize the importance of the captain's identity, the events of his life and the despair in his death.

This despair builds in suspense as Whitman's first stanza explains the resolution of Civil war in America; defining it as a 'fearful trip' that had "weather'd every rack". This statement displays the complications loyals of Abraham Lincoln had to face in the Civil War which left 620,000 to 750,000 soldiers dead (a higher number than the American military deaths of and combined). The irony of his poems statement is that Whitman's own figurative ship - his country- is the very thing that has "weather'd every rack" which is also a meaningful allusion of conflict between the Confederates; 13 southern states out of 34 (at the time) who declared their secession from the U.S, and the Union: the 21 remaining states that opposed slavery and prevailed as loyal. But, alas, as Whitman's poem states; "The port is near[ing]". Civil War has concluded in America and 'the prize [the] [union] sought is [now] won" (the 'prize' being peace in America). While America is celebrating their victory, Whitman arrives once again in a desperate tone; exclaiming, "O Heart! Heart! Heart!" He mourns despite the victory of war; Lincoln's assassination is still a heart sickening idea. As Whitman foreshadows the captain's death by using the phrase: "O the bleeding drops of red", he simultaneously symbolizes patriotism with the color red because of it's use in the American flag. Whitman concludes this stanza with the assassinated Lincoln "Fallen cold and dead". It's interesting to mention that Whitman includes the location of Lincoln's death-"the deck"- which is essentially America because Lincoln dies on American soil(the ship, and parts of the ship, being a synecdoche for his country; a literary device Whitman continues to reference throughout his poem). It's even more compelling to note the repeated phrase of "Fallen cold and dead" as it emphasizes the significance of Lincoln's death. The entire second stanza enhances Lincoln's importance by stating "the flag [of] [freedom] is flung" for him. As Whitman begs for Lincoln to "rise up" and observe the wonderful effects of his life in America, Whitman also writes, "For you they call". From this we can conclude that the word "they" refers to not only the author but all who were part of the Union; "calling out" for their leader.

The devastation many followers of Abraham felt is concluded by Whitman's last stanza. In these last lines, Whitman comes to the conclusion that his captain is dead and will not be able to guide them any longer. Although he mourns, Whitman also states that they should "ring o bells" and celebrate the victory Lincoln led them to but he still leaves time to mourn for the great loss of a beautiful captain.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In another heart moving piece by Walt Whitman, he questions his existence and the futility of life. In o Me! O Life! He ponders on the "endless trains of the faithless," or the many people who, throughout his life, betray his expectations. He describes cities full of foolish people and reproaches himself for being no better than these faithless masses. He admits that his eyes "vainly crave light" and that he, like many others, always wants something better than what he has. He complains that things never turn out the way he wants them to, and observes the "sordid crowds" around him who are also fighting through the journey of life. He believes that he is intertwined with these people, spending just as many "useless years" in pursuit of a distant idea; whether that be happiness or the answer to the meaning of life. At the end of the poem, he answers his own question—existence is enough of a purpose for humans to exist, and having life is reason enough for living.