V: The Moon Has A Quest

Alina followed Arien through the forest in a daze, barely noticing her surroundings as she walked. She almost bumped into Arien when he stopped.

"We're here."

They were right in front of a cave. Arien stepped aside in a fake gentleman gesture.

"Right after you, ma'am," he said with a playful grin.

Alina went into the cave. She'd expected... Well, she wasn't sure, but she wasn't expecting what she saw inside. There was a heather bed, some blankets and furs, a wooden box that served as a table, two chests, an oil lamp, a dagger and a few other things. Arien walked behind her.

"Well, as I said, it's not that much... But it's something, so, what do you think?"

"Did you do this by yourself?" Alina asked. She was impressed.

"Mostly, yes. With a little help from my brother," he said. "But you need rest. Why don't you take a nap? I'll go get some food." He pointed at the bed.

Alina wanted to protest, but when she heard the word "food" any complain in her head just vanished. She walked to the bed and lied down. She thought she wouldn't be able to fall asleep, but as Arien put a fur around her shoulders all the stress and worry turned into sleepiness. She closed her eyes and fell asleep.

She was at the same forest as in her previous dream. The woman was also there, and she was smiling at Alina. It was a warm smile. She put her hand in Alina's cheek and whispered; "My child".

Then the woman vanished. Instead, another lady was standing in front of the girl. Her hair was long and black as the night sky, and her grey eyes shone as the moon. She was wearing a white robe and a silver feather cape. She was looking right at Alina. She spoke, and her voice was soft and silky.

"My young Alina, I need your help," the woman said. There was something in her, Alina noticed, that was different. It was like the moonlight was made by her instead of the moon. "The men in the shadow are chasing my legacy. I need you to hold it for me, to keep it away from them."

"Who are you?" Alina asked. She wasn't afraid.

"My dear, haven't you guessed already?" the woman answered. "Look up."

Alina did, and she gasped. There was no moon. So the woman was making the moonlight. She looked back at the woman.

"Rina?"

The woman nodded.

"Now, it's time for you to wake up. Go to the silver mountain. Find my legacy. Protect it from the men in the shadow. The book will guide you"

The book again. What did it have to be with everything? Was that why those people her father talked about wanted it? Who were those "men in the shadow"? Alina wanted to ask those and more questions, but before she could, everything went black and she woke up.

She opened her eyes. She was back at the cave. Arien was back, and he had food. Alina sat up.

"Oh, you're awake," he said. He handed her a muffin. "Take it. You must be hungry."

Alina took it and bit it. It tasted to vanilla and blueberries. She recalled how she used to look for blueberries in the forest with her father before she left to work in the castle, and her heart shrunk.

"Where did you get this?" Alina asked.

"Does it matter?" the boy said bitterly without looking at her. He bit his own muffin.

Alina didn't answer. She just ate silently. How had he gotten the food? Arien cleared his throat.

"So, did you sleep well?" he asked. Alina almost choked on her muffin. She'd just remembered her dream.

"I... I had a weird dream," she said. She wanted to tell him about it, but could she? She'd just met him that morning. Could she trust him?

"Hey, I... I know this must be real hard for you," Arien said. Alina looked at him, and realised he was blushing a little. "You know, going home and finding something like that. But I want to help you, ok? Like, we just met today, and it wasn't what I'd call a great start, but I do want to help."

Alina smiled a bit. She nodded at him.

"Thank you."

She inhaled. She then told him about the dreams. The woman in the purple cape, the book, Rina, the men in the shadow and the legacy. Her father. Arien didn't interrupt a single time, listening carefully. When she ended, Alina felt relieved. It was like if someone had taken a weight off her shoulders.

"So, the silver mountain? " Arien talked. He frowned.

"I know it's hard to believe." Alina sighed. "But is the truth."

"No, no, I believe you," he said. "I'm just... That's it!" he exclaimed. "I know where it is!"

Alina was surprised and puzzled at the same time. What was he rambling about?

"What the...? You mean the silver mountain?"

"Yes! I have a map here somewhere..." He started stirring in one of the chests with his non-injured arm. "Oh, please tell me I didn't throw it away... Yes! Here it is!" He took out a piece of paper.

"Arien, why do you believe me? Even I'm having a hard time believing myself, yet you seem pretty confident that I'm telling the truth."

"Huh?"

Arien shrugged with one arm and looked aside.

"I dunno. It's just a... feeling, I guess. And I don't think you would've pulled all that off if it weren't true."

Alina squinted. There was something he wasn't telling her, but she decided to ignore it. Instead, she said:

"We're not going anywhere until your arm gets better. It would be disastrous. We need to be prepared."

Arien looked surprised, but he didn't complain. He handed her another muffin.

"Then, we better get strong for the journey," he said with a grin.

Alina looked at the muffin. This time, it didn't bring her sadness; it brought her determination.