VIII: The River

The duo walked around the castle, through the forest. Alina could see the courtyard that led to the service doors, and couldn't help by peek, hiding behind a tree. Arien peeked over her shoulder, curious, but the girl ignored him. She could see a few people; an adult milkmaid, a young boy carrying two chicken and the man in charge of the doors.

"Hey."

Alina jumped, sartled, and turned around. Behind her was a girl around her age, maybe a couple years older. It was the girl that calmed the assistants down the day she got called by Dolint, she remembered. The girl had a really big amount of long, curly ginger hair, and her face was dotted with freckles. Her eyes were bright blue and staring at Alina.

"What are you doing here? Are you spying or something?"

Alina could see from the corner of her eye that Arien was trying not to laugh. She ignored him as always, but promised to herself that she would punch him once they left.

"I'm not spying, I was just passing by. I have no reasons to spy anyone or anything here. There's nothing interesting in that courtyard."

"Hold on... Aren't you that girl who was supposed to take care of princess Runette's desserts' plate presentation? Why the heck didn't you show up this whole week!?"

"I am... going through something." Alina didn't want to say it out loud. It would make it worse. She had learnt to hold tears back a long time ago, so she was a hundred percent sure she wouldn't have a breakdown, but still.

The girl frowned for a second, then opened her eyes even more.

"Girl! I get it, but that time isn't an excuse to ditch work! We all go through that, and do you see any other girl lazying around?"

Arien seemed confused, but Alina's face quickly heated up. She wasn't expecting that, and she was sure her face was bright red.

"No! I haven't... I'm not... I mean, it's not that!" It was hard to make Alina nervous, but that girl did.

"Then, what is it?"

"I... my father... he disappeared. The house was a total mess." Surprisingly, she found herself opening up to the ginger girl really easily. "Maybe he was kidnapped. I don't know. I just couldn't... He's the only one I have left. I'm sorry for not showing up to work lately."

The girl's expression softened. Alina could feel she felt sorry for her.

"Wait... so you're Mr. Annyet's daughter? Dang, I didn't know... I'm sorry."

Alina didn't say anything.

"So... you don't know my name, do you?" the girl asked. Alina shook her head.

"Sorry."

"It's ok, I don't know yours either. I'm Zefire Lattar."

"Alina. Alina Nivar."

"I'm Arien, by the way. I don't think we've met before." Zefire turned to the boy.

"No, we didn't, but it's nice to meet you. Are you guys... together or something?"

"No! No way! Of course not! Why would you think that? No, what the...!" Both Alina and Arien rushed their tongues. She could see that his face was really red now. At least, that had taken her out of her thoughts about her father.

"Ok, ok, I was just asking! I gotta leave now, I'm supposed to go back to the kitchen. Good morning!"

As the girl walked away, Alina said to Arien:

"Let's keep going. We have nothing to do here, and we have to reach the river soon. And believe me, the palace isn't small at all. It would take a long while to walk through it in a straight line, not to say to surround it."

"Then, what are we doing here? Let's go!"

"Wait."

"What?"

Alina punched the boy in the arm.

"Now we can go."

"Hey! What was that for?"

"Figure it out, spy boy."

After walking for an hour or so, the two youngsters finally arrived to the river. Alina sit on a rock.

"Are you tired already?" Arien asked.

"No, I'm hungry," she replied, opening her basket and taking out one loaf bread, some cheese and ham and one bag of spices. "It's way past noon and I don't like missing lunch."

"Fine, whatever."

He took a piece of bread and bit it.

"What do you think you're doing?"

"What?" The boy stopped chewing, leaving a ridiculous expression in his face.

"You're not gonna eat just bread. I'm making sandwiches."

"What? Why not?"

"Fine then, eat your bread, I'll have a delicious sandwich. But of course, who doesn't choose tasteless bread over ham and cheese?"

"Fine, you got me. I'll have a sandwich."

"Please."

"Please, oh great cook Alina, would you grant me the honor of making me a sandwich?"

"Sure. Just hold on a minute."

After eating, Arien said:

"Well, I never thought I'd say this, but this was the best sandwich I've ever eaten."

"That's what the spices are for. Now, would you mind if I go to the river for a second?"

"Sure, I'll wait for you here."

Alina walked away, heading to the White River. She could see why it was named like that. It was in the middle of a long path of pure white stone, and its water was so clear that you could easily see the bottom. Also, the sunlight reflected in it, throwing light flashes in all directions. It was beautiful.

She then looked at her reflection. Her hair was a tangled mess, and it had some leaves stuck in it. She tried to brush it with her hands, but it was useless. It was annoying, unpractical and too hot when the sun hit hard.

She had been thinking about it, but it was still a little hard. There would be no going back if she did it. But she didn't care. She grabbed her dagger with one hand.

With the other hand, she grabbed one of her curls and cut it off.