twenty

"Let me ask you this," Tiana smiles, her fingers flipping through the pages of our new book. "Do you think Holden is trying to say he, or she, wants this kind of relationship. I feel like this is a diary."

I ponder her idea, thinking about it. We read the book in a day. And then continuously reread it. The words are effortlessly written and I can honestly say that this writer, whoever it is, has me in love with the words. It's a fitting title to the book. It really is a compelling read, and the motive to read it is simply to find that thrill through the character's love. This novel, however, is the need. There is a need between the characters and they're drawn to each other despite not knowing each other fully. They just crave each other.

"You know, I bet you Holden Shepherd is a girl. There's no way a guy could write this much love," I say, and I hear my phone go off. Tiana is drowning in the book, more than likely rereading it. My hand grasps the device and I swipe to answer the call.

"Hi Harry," I smile, his beautiful raspy voice saying hello over the phone.

"How's the arm?" he asks, my now brace-less arm free. It's a little sore and I still have to adjust, but I'm feeling good.

"Good, but I have a question for you," I say, biting my lower lip.

"Go for it," he says, and by the way he spoke, it sounds like there's a smile on his face.

"When can I see you?" I ask, a smile creeping up on my lips. He hums, knowing I really miss him. He's been extremely busy at work and I'm having withdrawals.

The night I found him essentially defending me was rough for my mind. It was an information overload, but he took me back to my apartment and stayed with me. He answered my simple questions, like how many times he was caught, how long he was with the 'boss', and how he got out of everything. I didn't like that it took him getting arrested to make his final departure, but it explains the mugshot on the article I found.

"Soon baby," he says, and my heart swoons at the name. It's fairly new, but it continues to have the same effect on my heart every time he calls me by it.

"How's work?" I ask, and he sighs.

"It's busy. I have a lot to take care of, a ton of papers to sign, and a lot of avoiding publicity. I've told the other people at the university that I really don't like my work being in the public. They're usually good about it, but I tend to be a little extra cautious when our research is published," he explains, and I nod.

"Not a fan of people knowing your work?" I ask, and he almost snorts.

"I wouldn't go that far. I get the credit I need, but I just hate interviews and criticism directed at me. It's not that I don't love the challenge or being capable of strong defense; I just would prefer to have my work reflect what I enjoy and leave it at that. People just want a name to go along with it; I don't like that," he answers, and my lips form an 'o'.

"That makes a lot of sense," I say, and he lightly laughs on the other side of the phone. I wish I could see his dimples; experience his beautiful smile.

"Listen, if you want to, darling, I can give you the code to my house and you can hang out there," he tells me, and I kindly decline. I would feel out of place if he wasn't there beside me. It's his home; a place I want to be with him at.

"You're more than welcome to, darling. You know how to find me," he remarks, and I feel my cheeks blush. He makes me feel so incredibly cared for and I revel in the feeling. It's amazing.

"Thank you," I tell him, and he gives me a happy response before he lets me go. I hang up and go back to the living room, Tiana sprawled on the floor as she looks upon the pages in awe.